• Register Today It's free!

Wind noise creeping in

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Had this annoying problem on the passenger side, and now drivers side starting to do it, at highway speeds can here the annoying sound of the air sorta "flapping" in, seems to be coming from the driver and passenger windows. I highly doubt its the door weather stripping as mine are in good shape and I've been in cars that needed the weather stripping replaced and it was a lot noisier and different sound.

Problem is I can't pinpoint where from the windows its coming from, if I play with the window up and down sometimes I can fix it and its quiet again, but generally the sound of the air still persist. Seems to be from somewhere in the top rear corner of the driver window, passenger not sure.

But I can't find any information of what could be the cause or fix searching on here, only thing I can find is a few post on replacing weather stripping. I have those vent visors as well but I've also had them for years and years with no problems before. Any ideas, as it's seriously annoying to drive on the highway with the sound right in your ear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha! I have the same thing on my drivers side. I do not know if it is coming from the window or the door.

I'll keep an eye on the thread to see if others mention this as something that tends to occur on the Explorers.

Check to see if the edge of your rubber strip that goes along the windshield is laying flat, or if the top edge is off the truck. Mine is, and it will sometimes flap when on the highway with the right wind.

Also, weatherstripping can look good and be bad. Mine looked great, but I got new, and not only did the wind noise that I had go away, but the rear air vent had to be re-opened becasue I couldn't shut my doors correctly- it was so much more airtight it was scary.

Check to see if the edge of your rubber strip that goes along the windshield is laying flat, or if the top edge is off the truck. Mine is, and it will sometimes flat when on the highway with the right wind.

Also, weatherstripping can look good and be bad. Mine looked great, but I got new, and not only did the wind noise that I had go away, but the rear air vent had to be re-opened becasue I couldn't shut my doors correctly- it was so much more airtight it was scary.
Mine seems to be coming from the windows though, as if I move the window up and down a bit it will sometimes stop and be as quiet as it was stock, doesn't sound to be inner weather stripping problem. I wonder if the vent visors stretched out the window liners? Friend had that happen on his Tahoe and dealer charged about $800 to replace the liners, fixed the problem but damn. Whats the point in visors if they f' up your liners, gonna be pissed if I have the same issue. For example on the drivers side it seems to be coming from the rear top corner of the drivers window.

If you open a window, you're changing the aerodynamic flow over the truck and also over the possibly flapping strip by the windshield maybe just enough causing it to stop doing it. You're also allowing wind out of the truck causing the weatherstripping to not "leak" noise since the wind isn't forced in or out of the weatherstripping's weaker contact points. Does it sound like when you hold a piece of paper close to your mouth and blow over the edge to make a moderately high-pitched buzzing noise?

It could be the visors themselves too, I've never understood those- if it's raining, I just always vented the HVAC...

If you open a window, you're changing the aerodynamic flow over the truck and also over the possibly flapping strip by the windshield maybe just enough causing it to stop doing it. You're also allowing wind out of the truck causing the weatherstripping to not "leak" noise since the wind isn't forced in or out of the weatherstripping's weaker contact points. Does it sound like when you hold a piece of paper close to your mouth and blow over the edge to make a moderately high-pitched buzzing noise?

It could be the visors themselves too, I've never understood those- if it's raining, I just always vented the HVAC...
No it's more of like a whoosh/whistle of air, sorta like your example but not any buzzing noise. It really does not sound like the weather stripping leaking though, at least on the drivers side I can clearly here the sound coming from the top of the window, I don't open and close it far to try to fix it, just quick touches on the button, like a few mm.

Another thing to check too is make sure your bushings on your door hinges are good. My GF has a blazer and the bushings are bad and the door hangs slightly, and she has a wooshing sound when driving. Just another thing to check.

Interesting... The window is closing all the way? Is it loose laterally at all- can you rock it back and forth (front to back) when 1/2 down? It may be binding and not closing all that way?

damnit, replaced the stripping. Did nothing. Same wind noise is creeping in. It's coming from the windows, I know it, as if I move it up or down I can sometimes get it to stop most of that sound. But the windows are tight, nothing is loose. I don't go over 65 on the highway now as its too annoying. I drove my cousins work truck Ranger that has a 150K on it and isn't really taken care of, with all original seals and stripping etc and it was way quieter then mine on the highway.

Today, we went to a wedding, and I went through the auto car wash prior to going (First wash since I've owned it LOL). During the drying mode, I could REALLY hear and feel the wind coming from the middle/side, as well as part of the top of the door. Looking at the seals, they look great. Almost brand new. Perhaps I need to replace it with thicker seals?

We'll see... :D

Take the vehicle on the highway. With all of the windows rolled up, light up a big honkin' stogie and start blowing smoke in the direction you think the leak is coming from. The smoke will gravitate and get sucked out of the area that is leaking. Probably better to have an assistant do this so you're not constantly taking your eyes off of the road.

--Lizard

could be something pushed up into the groove that recieves the window,not letting it go completely up....stick a blade up there and see if you feel anything up there.or check your window track in your door,systematicaly do the whole dang door

Hi everyone. I've only had my 99XLT for about two months and I too have a wind noise coming through the top rear corner of my window. I know what is causing that annoying wind noise in mine. The window guide is starting to rot out and the window slips out of the track when the window is rolled up. Now all I do is grab the glass and pull the glass inward toward me while it is going up and it seats a whole lot better. A replacement is in order but I gotta save up first because I have a feeling it will cost more than what I paid for the truck. lol

Hi everyone. I've only had my 99XLT for about two months and I too have a wind noise coming through the top rear corner of my window. I know what is causing that annoying wind noise in mine. The window guide is starting to rot out and the window slips out of the track when the window is rolled up. Now all I do is grab the glass and pull the glass inward toward me while it is going up and it seats a whole lot better. A replacement is in order but I gotta save up first because I have a feeling it will cost more than what I paid for the truck. lol
This is what I was thinking, as I can clearly hear it's coming from the rear corner of the window. Do you have a parts# or what it cost to replace? I don't even know what would be involved, I don't recall seeing that in the haynes manual when I searched.

This is what I was thinking, as I can clearly hear it's coming from the rear corner of the window. Do you have a parts# or what it cost to replace? I don't even know what would be involved, I don't recall seeing that in the haynes manual when I searched.

Hi beach, when I say "a replacement is in order" I meant that it should be replaced but not ordered, it is in need of replacement. Sorry if I confused you. My bad. I'm sure a Ford parts counter should be able to get the parts. If not then Duct Tape should help.... In the immortal words of Alf the alien "No Wrooooooooong" lol.

Back