• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Troubles

gregthomas

Reaction score
City, State
Irvine, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Eddie Bauer
So yesterday I got the dreaded flashing O/D light and slipping on the shift from 1st to 2nd on my '95 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Pulled the pan tonight, fluid was dark but not black and there was nothing in the pan but some tiny shavings stuck to the magnet. Attempted to adjust the intermediate band, wouldn't torque to 10lbs. and eventually popped, I guess that was the sound of it finishing breaking. So I've got a broken transmission and a couple of questions:

1. Engine is a 4.0. Door sticker says transmission is "Type T" - this means it should be a 4R55E right?
2. The truck had a rebuilt tranny put in before I bought it. I still have the reciept for the new tranny which says it's a 4R44E. I was under the assumption that a 4.0 should have a 4R55E. Could this be why it only lasted 55,000 miles before it broke?
3. With only 55,000 miles, no metal in the pan and all other shifts good, can I get by with just replacing the intermediate band? Money is a huge issue, but I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for the help. I need to decide whether I want to rebuild this one or purchase a used 4R55E and rebuild it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming that nothing has fragged somewhere else, I would bet that at 55,000 miles the frictions are all good, and a rebuild with an appropriate rebulid kit, and what the heck, replace the servos and put in a rebuilt VB from Donnie, and you should be good to go.

Use seal protectors when installing seals. If it were me, not knowing WHAT the tranny had before YOUR 55K, I might replace all the torringtons as well.

Glacier

Thanks Glacier, sorry I dropped this post. Been layin' underneath it pulling the tranny out! Anyway, I ended up taking it to a guy who opened it up and did find a broke band. He put the new band in as well as a friction that was worn, cleaned the valve body and put new seals in for $500. Pretty good deal I thought. I'm putting it back in but I'm having a heck of a time getting the torque converter back in the transmission all the way, got any advice on that?

Hey Glacier, I noticed in your A4LD rebuild diary that the input shaft is pushed in farther than mine, I'm assuming this is what is causing my torque converter problem. On yours, I can only see the splined portion, but on mine, I can see the smooth part too. Only thing is, mine won't budge, in or out. Should I try to force it in farther with a rubber mallet? Doesn't sound like the right thing to do!

Nevermind... the input shaft was pulled out a little and was stuck. Got it out and back in correctly and the torque converter went back on perfect.

How does this relate to the torque converters on the 5R55E? I'm about to swap mine with another used one. Did the converter just slide on, or do you rotate and line it up to let it drop in a few notches?

Back