Explorer to Ranger 4WD spindle interchange? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer to Ranger 4WD spindle interchange?

mustang97124

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda B3000 4WD
Hi All -
Is the spindle for a 94 4WD Explorer interchangeable to a 94 Ranger 4WD? This would be on a D35 front assembly. Ranger spindles seem to be hard to come by, but my local JY has about 30 Explorers...Thanks for any help with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should work without a problem.

Thanks for the reply, I was at a auto salvage the other day that only had one Explorer hub off of a 91 or 92 and the only difference I could see was the diameter of the part that bolts to the knuckle was maybe an 1/8th inch less, otherwise everything else appeared to match up - probably would work, but there was that slight difference.

Be sure if the truck it is going on has ABS that the notch is cut out of the spindle.. and that there is not excessive wear--- were the bearing goes.

Yep, knew about the ABS notch (mine only has rear ABS). I went and got the spindle, installed it and it appears to work just fine. Took it for a drive and didn't have any problems. The only difference I could see was that the spindle key-way is at about the one o'clock position instead of pointing straight up. Speaking of ABS, when my rig is first driven in the morning, the brakes are so fricking touchy they lock up if you even sneeze in the direction of the brake pedal. If I ride the brakes for a little while, all is fine. Is that a common problem?

Speaking of ABS, when my rig is first driven in the morning, the brakes are so fricking touchy they lock up if you even sneeze in the direction of the brake pedal. If I ride the brakes for a little while, all is fine. Is that a common problem?

Yeah, it's something to do with moisture and the rear brake shoe linings. When mine does it I just lightly ride the parking brake for a block or two to warm them up a little, then it's fine for the rest of the drive.

Some reports in the past were different brand shoes had varying susceptibility to this, though I can't remember for sure which ones were best (Bendix maybe? I know Raybestos does it bad, that's what I have).

Back