• Register Today It's free!

Machining spindles?

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Hi guys, Ive finally have time and a little space to work on my ex(1993). Im installing knuckles from a 95-97 ranger for the upgraded brakes. Im having trouble finding a knuckle where the spindle is in outstanding shape, but I didnt think it would be easy. So what Im considering is when I take my 302 block to the machine shop taking both knuckles in and seeing if they can polish the spindles and then order custom bearings from timken.

Any thoughts on this would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can order new spindles. I believe I have seen them sold for as low as $150 each.

can you tell me where id order new spindles as soon as tomorrow. (1993 2wd)

..subscribing as they are getting harder to find in the jy out here..:popcorn:

Oh, thought you meant 4WD spindles. Sorry. And I was wrong on the price too, but that was thinking about D35 TTB spindles.

Check on The Ranger Station classifieds.

Maybe what you're looking for is the spindle snout? This part of the spindle can be pressed out and some aftermarket companies make upgraded replacements. Or maybe you can order a new Ford snout.

Hi guys, Ive finally have time and a little space to work on my ex(1993). Im installing knuckles from a 95-97 ranger for the upgraded brakes. Im having trouble finding a knuckle where the spindle is in outstanding shape, but I didnt think it would be easy. So what Im considering is when I take my 302 block to the machine shop taking both knuckles in and seeing if they can polish the spindles and then order custom bearings from timken.

Any thoughts on this would help.

I don't understand what you would have machined. ..spindles are pretty much indestructible except where the bearing rides. They are a dime a dozen here in Virginia.two wheel drive 95-97 rangers are not rare at all.

can you tell me where id order new spindles as soon as tomorrow. (1993 2wd)

You would need 95-97 2wd spindles, not 93

yeah the spindles I have are from a 95 ranger and the bearing surface are a little rough and in wisconsin road salt destroys everything so I got mine from fleabay

ok so heres a thought, a while back I got a set of 95 explorer knuckles thinking they still used the I beam setup and the cost to return them was more than I paid for them so I put them away. the snout on them are in great condition and appear to be the same. so what I have them pushed out and switched into what I need?

Back