Multiple clunks when engaging 4-low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple clunks when engaging 4-low

Tackle

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hello,

I've owned my 99 sohc explorer since may and decided last weekend to see if the 4-wheel drive works. I raised it up off the ground and put jack stands under it. In neutral I switched to 4-high and it engaged nicely, tires spun the correct way. When I put it in 4-low the light came on and the truck went clunk--clunk--clunk--then I switched it back to Auto because it didn't sound good and I didn't wanna wreck anything. But, even though it didn't sound good, I clicked it back to 4-low just to make sure it wasn't working. This time no clunks and no 4-low light. 4-high still engaged and the light came on.

Tonight I did the same thing, but again it went clunk--clunk--clunk before I turned it back to auto.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I read in a post that it could be binding of the gears, but how would I fix that if it was my issue? What about the shift motor, is it working if it engages 4-high?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I said to the doc, "Doc, it hurts when I do this". The doc says "then don't do this"...etc. LOL couldn't resist!

You shouldn't do it with the wheels off the ground, unless you hold the brake on some, did you read the instruction on the sun visor on how to put it in 4 low? The trans has to be in neutral and then switch to 4 low. 4 high is a magnetic clutch engagement so it is very smooth, 4 low is a gear change and with the wheels off the ground even with the trans in neutral they maybe turning this will cause the gears not to engage or grind, unless you hold the brake on lightly. You may have blown a fuse.

This isn't my first rodeo...I know how to put a truck in and use 4-low correctly. Fuses are the first thing I checked. But anyway, from a very very slight roll in neutral I was able to get it to engage. After that, it engages and disengages every time. My guess is that since it hasn't been used in awhile, the shift motor was stuck or the gears were "binding" though I'm not exactly sure what that all entails.

Sounds like tcase is junk, they have issues that will cause that. Id change before it lets go, a better tcase than replacement that will happen again would be convert to 1354 Manual :)

Nah, I'm not going to replace it. I was testing it out because I have it for sale and people have been coming to look at it. I wanted to make sure it either worked or it didn't.

Back