• Register Today It's free!

Last week with the Explorer...

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I figured I'd post this here since I'm in this forum much more than any other. It's been decided that it's time for the Explorer to go. With 160K on the stock motor and tranny. No A/C or 4x4 functioning...there's just too much wrong with the truck to justify fixing it. We are trading it in this weekend for something new. Hopefully we will get $1000 out of it, hopefully. Most likely a 2002 GMC Envoy will be the next SUV in the family. Seems to be a decent SUV...not too much of an off-roader, but the X only ever saw snow and a little mud every once and a while. I'm taking the system out of the X Friday nite...with the exception of the headunit and the rear speakers. Everything else is coming out and I don't know which car it will go into. This forum's been great and I'm sure I'll stop in from time to time to give a little help with your audio problems. I only come to this site about every other week now that I'm at school with out my X. Thanks for all the help guys...Especially Rock, Jtang, and Leenjen. You guys always helped me decide on what to do. Thanks again.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOU BETTER STOP BY!
you're one the audio regulars. you always had great advice and input. this kinda feels like when you're a kid and your friend moves away :(

well, the envoy should be a lot of fun. i drove the trailblazer (envoy's twin) and loved it.
when you get it, be sure to post some pictures. are you going to put a system in it?

Don't know about the system just yet. We are getting the one with the Bose factory system and also with the 7" screen with DVD in the back. Not sure what the plans are yet. I may be buying a more economical car too...like a civic or something. We'll just have to wait and see.

Steve

It was always great helping you and getting help from you. I'm glad you thought I helped you out on here. Hope you don't have any troubles with your Envoy and don't have any troubles with it.

If you get $1000.00 for it I would buy it.... Any way sorry to see you leave the X you have been a Great help here in the Forum...

Good luck

PLANS HAVE CHANGED!!!!!

Well it looks like we aren't getting the Envoy. The 0% financing that was being offered doesn't apply to trucks! What a pain. The parents didn't feel like financing a $35K+ car so it looks like we may be getting a used 2000 Limited X...we'll find out for sure this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

doesnt apply to trucks? that's strange.

i know that jeep is offering the 0% financing too. the grand cherokees are nice.

ewwwwww .... did he just say the J word?

Dont worry, a 2000 Ford, sounds better than one of those new chevy products...

Well it happened...The old Explorer is gone for good. My parents traded it in last night. They bought a used Explorer though so it doesn't look like I'll be leaving the boards any time soon. I won't have it here at school with me so I still won't be around as much as I used to before this Fall.

The new X is a '98 Eddie Bauer V8. I love the 302...don't know about gas mileage though. It's burgandy with tan interior. They said they only got $1200 for the old X. I can understand that though. It had 160K miles, stock motor, tranny was gonna go soon, 4x4 didn't work, A/C didn't work...in other words it was time for it to go. I can't wait to see my new ride when I get home tomorrow night!!!!!

Steve

congrats man!

that's cool, plenty more power than that OHV 4.0

Recent Safety Recalls: 2002 GMC Envoy
Recall Alert
Owner Notification Date: 9/25/2001
Component Description:pOWER TRAIN:TRANSFER CASE (4-WHEEL DRIVE)1
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V283000

Past Safety Recalls:
Recall Alert
Owner Notification Date: 5/29/2001
Component Description:INTERIOR SYSTEMS:CONSOLE (8/82)
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V158000
Recall Alert
Owner Notification Date: 4/4/2001
Component Description:SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V126000

Be glad you didnt get it... not even 2002 yet and its already been recalled 3 times.. serious ones too. Im convinced when a truck is named SUV of the year it was bought into that position.

The Envoy is nice, my sister and her husband bought one to replace their (my) 95 XLT since it's got 102,000 on it. It rattles almost as much as my 15 year old Pontiac 6000. I think that if GM can get some of the wrinkles worked out of it in the next year it'll be a contender.

What?! I can talk about GM since the Ex is the first Ford vehicle my family has owned since my parents '65 Comet :)

It is the SUV of the year isn't it? Anyway glad to hear you'll be sticking around and got a Ford instead.

Back