four 15's or five 12's

kidd666

Reaction score
City, State
reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
should i go with four 15" dc level 4's or five 12" dc level fours

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How deaf do you want to get? Bear in mind, more bass you pump, more power your gonna need to power the door speakers to get decent sound. in my experence 15s throw lower, but 4 of them in a rig the size of an explorer? Not trying to criticize. Also make sure the RMS of your amp and subs. RMS is the true wattage output, not what it says on the unit itself, make sense?

Four 15s gives you 25% more cone area than five 12s. In fact, four 15s is still more cone area than six 12s.

I'll be doing four 15s in a wall "soon" in my '04 Explorer. Just be prepared for the electrical system upgrades you'll need to make if you plan on giving those subs a lot of power. I'm running a little less than 3000 REAL watts right now, with a high-amp alternator and Optima Redtop, and it ain't enough. I'll be adding a second battery soon, and may even have to fab up some kind of bracket to run dual alternators. Also consider sound-deadening the entire vehicle, if you haven't already. Suspsension issues come into play as well. That's a ton of weight in the back end.

4x15 hands down. LOTS more cone area, and easier to install and wire. Less chance of cancellation issues, too.

4 15's

over kill much ?

i have a single ( RE - SXX10D2 ) powered by a ( KENWOOD EXCELON XR-1S ) and that single sub rocks the sh%t out of my X... i dont even push my system hard either...

@ max my amp is pushing out 700w RMS, and the sub is rated for 1000w RMS

my bass is ( 0 ) and run my volume is turned up to about 60% of the max volume on my HU...

4 15's is just insane IMO...

i have an 8" long throw sub in my X in a little ported box i tuned to 25hz. it works great.
just thought i'd add that.

oh, and the 4 15's will kick the ass of the 12's.
if you want good bass though, get the speakers with the lowest f3 (resonant frequency). and build a box with enough area PER SPEAKER (total area divided by speakers) to allow each speaker to retain a low f3. big subs in tiny boxes tuned to 50+ hz sound horrible.

over kill much ?

i have a single ( RE - SXX10D2 ) powered by a ( KENWOOD EXCELON XR-1S ) and that single sub rocks the sh%t out of my X... i dont even push my system hard either...

@ max my amp is pushing out 700w RMS, and the sub is rated for 1000w RMS

my bass is ( 0 ) and run my volume is turned up to about 60% of the max volume on my HU...

4 15's is just insane IMO...

what can i say i like bass and i like it loud. and right now in my car i have two 15's and 2 12's running on one 1800 watt hiphonics amp and its very loud but i just want more

what can i say i like bass and i like it loud. and right now in my car i have two 15's and 2 12's running on one 1800 watt hiphonics amp and its very loud but i just want more

^^^lmao thats sad! and its Hifonics.

DC lvl 4's will be quite the jump. and youll need at least 4k rms to run them and a lot of electrical upgrades. but it should be a good build. ive metered my single 18" Fi BTL and burped it at 148.3db off the TL sealed on dash. so 4 15's should easily reach over 150db.

whoa you mixed sub sizes? not a good idea but if your happy than thats what matters. The important thing is someone must have educated you on mixing sub sizes(there is a effective way to do it but i won't go into that) and it seems your smart enough to keep the3 sub sizes the same. With that in mind, what amp are you planning on running the 4 15's with? do you already have a ho alt?

whoa you mixed sub sizes? not a good idea but if your happy than thats what matters. The important thing is someone must have educated you on mixing sub sizes(there is a effective way to do it but i won't go into that) and it seems your smart enough to keep the3 sub sizes the same. With that in mind, what amp are you planning on running the 4 15's with? do you already have a ho alt?

i have not thought about what amp i want to runyet. and no i do not have a ho alt

Back