• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Snorkels?

Jager

Reaction score
City, State
San Clemente, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Well, with the most recent offroading trouble I had; water going up my intake to my throttle body, I figured I would start "water-proofing" my motor.

Now, obviously, our 3rd gens will never be for crazy offroading. The electronic components in the engine bay prevent that: TPS, electronic throttle, etc.

I'm already looking into making a skid plate, and waterproofing my wheel wells with splash guards, but the most important thing is keeping the water out of my engine.

I need ideas on making a snorkel, either completely homemade, or using kits from other vehicles. I would like to possibly get rid of the airbox, and have a smaller alternative, considering the longer 3"-4" snorkel tubing should suffice as far as air space.

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, that works. I don't want to damage my vehicle too much, so I'm considering running the snorkle to my glove compartment.

Or possibly to the rear of the vehicle. Will the motor work normally if I had ~70 inches of tubing to the rear of the vehicle?

Thats alot of pipe, and I dont travel too fast when I'm wheelin' so the engine would have to suck the air through, but semi's run that amount of intake pipe with no dramas. There are some good looking snorks out there for modern 4x4's and they all need a hole cut somewhere. How would you set up the glovebox idea?

Thats alot of pipe, and I dont travel too fast when I'm wheelin' so the engine would have to suck the air through, but semi's run that amount of intake pipe with no dramas. There are some good looking snorks out there for modern 4x4's and they all need a hole cut somewhere. How would you set up the glovebox idea?

There is a open space on the left corner of the engine bay. There is a lot of room. I was planning on drilling a 3.5"-4" hole and sealing it with a rubber grommet. Then repiping the intake tubing to the glove box. Straight 3" abs piping to the firewall (with maf sensor in engine bay), and the only the air-filter in the glove compartment.

I do need to refine that idea a bit, but it seems like this would be a effective way to keep from water going into the intake. ofcourse all piping and connections would have to be sealed completely.

What about a vent in the fender on flexy hose? when you go off road extend it and clip it to your roof rack, on road it could sit flush with the fender like a street mod. A sort of brake cooling vent look? Sorry man I'm starting go a bit way out now, The glovebox idea sounds good after looking at what I just wrote.:)

What about a vent in the fender on flexy hose? when you go off road extend it and clip it to your roof rack, on road it could sit flush with the fender like a street mod. A sort of brake cooling vent look? Sorry man I'm starting go a bit way out now, The glovebox idea sounds good after looking at what I just wrote.:)

That is definitely more practical considering I won't be offroading all the time, but I don't want it to look "mickey-mousy"

im gunna give the glovebox idea a try this weekend.

Cool, good luck

That is definitely more practical considering I won't be offroading all the time, but I don't want it to look "mickey-mousy"

im gunna give the glovebox idea a try this weekend.

might sound like you've got a vacuum cleaner in there, but it would keep water from getting in.

Interested to see how this comes out!

might sound like you've got a vacuum cleaner in there, but it would keep water from getting in.

Interested to see how this comes out!

So am I!

I don't know the intake systems on the 3rd gens all too well, but, If you were to bypass the silencer/box/thingy and put some sort of cone filter on it in your glove box your going to REALLY be able to hear that motor run!

Reference: I noticed a dramatic increase in under-the-hood engine roar when I put my FIPK K&N system in.

The only issue I have come across is how loud its going to be in the cabin. The constant whistling of the intake might get a bit annoying...

I was thinking about my reference to semi's using long air intake snorlels and I think diesels use less air in compression than petrols do in combustion. What are second hand fenders worth? Maybe one of those to run a snorkel out of and keep your original in case you decide to go back? Or s/h hood and run a pod up through that?

just cut the hole in the fender... if you do it right, it looks fine. use a hole saw and then cover the lip with a rubber trim of sorts. clean and easier then getting into your glovebox, and a whole lot better IMHO.

just cut the hole in the fender... if you do it right, it looks fine. use a hole saw and then cover the lip with a rubber trim of sorts. clean and easier then getting into your glovebox, and a whole lot better IMHO.

I am not worried about ease, im worried about functionality. IDK if you've looked in your engine bay, but it would be just as easy to drill the firewall. and i wont have to deal with outside cosmetic issues.

i have many times. if its for functionality then i STILL would do it through the fender... not only will you not have to deal with intake noise (and ambient enjoy noise, dust getting in, etc etc) but your car will stay heated better, and you dont loose functionality of the glove box.

also... snorkels look BADASS when done right.

Crap, I can't think of who actually did a full snorkle on his Ex on here. He was from Australia and it did turn out looking decent.

Also, can I see a picture of your current intake setup?

Edit- Here you go;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223803&highlight=snorkel&page=7

Thanks man! This was what I was looking for!

My current setup is completely stock, with Airbox mod and a K&N. Problem is, airbox mod was a terrible idea for offroading. I was going to buy a new OEM airbox and put it back in there, but i figured i'd give a snorkel a try.

havent said it yet but "airbox mod" is a bad idea for everything but WOT.

read up on helmholtz resonance and you guys will get what i mean. sure its louder and meaner, but i bet the dyno shows you lose power everywhere but 3/4 to WOT, where you are at... almost none of the time, unless if your racing.

(not putting you specifically down, jager, just stating a fact!).

that EX snorkel is clean! i would do alloy tubing though... looks better.

Some of the guys with Jeep Wranglers (TJ) do this type of an intake set-up; this is an intake made by spectre
131_1009_10_o+131_1009_september_2010_new_products+spectre_performance_jeep_tj_intake.jpg

The opening of the intake is drilled up into the firewall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the cool thing about spectre is that you can route your own intake and then send it back to them to weld it all together. This would be a really cool project for our EX's!

Back