• Register Today It's free!

Question about lift + Hitch

CMcCormick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Alright so I just started to thinking... 3 inch body lift and then a 4 inch superlift... if I were to add those, would I still be able to throw a hitch on the back of my explorer?

It doesn't have a hitch currently so I would install one. but I want it to be at a normal level, I don't want it to be lower then it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are going with THAT much lift, are you planning on a custom bumper of some sort?

The standard options for attaching the tow hitch reciever to a frame, makes it hang a bit low when adding a body lift, and lifting the bumper to match...

Besides that, once you move the stock bumper up with relocating brackets, you have essentially removed all crash protection that the factory bumper provides. Building a new bumper is most ideal, and you can integrate a towing receiver into that new bumper.

Ryan

Yeah if I was going that high it would be a custom bumper... is it just a body lift that would have the hitch lower? If it was just a suspension lift would the hitch still move up and not hang low?

It is the body lift that would cause the hitch to hang low, and not look 'right'.

If you are only doing a suspension lift, the bumper location, in relation to the body will remain the same. And the hitch would not look out of place at all.

Ryan

Hmm alright, thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Back