Need help for shackle lift with HITCH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help for shackle lift with HITCH

Daniel_Melinda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
ok i have looked around a little bit and i havnt found anything that would help me but here it goes hope noone minds. i am wanting to do the 2in rear shackle lift with the TT on my 98 ex BUT... i also want to put a reciever hitch on the ex but i have looked at some ex's that are stock with a hitch and the rear shackle is touching the hitch. so then i say to myself, "self if i put a hitch on then start my lift i bet the new longer shackles may not work right and/or may not work at all with a hitch" i asume this is caused from sag on the leafs but i really need a hitch fow towing but i also really want the lift. can anyone shed some light on my thoughts here? as of right now my ex is pretty stock besides the BWM witch works great (found that on here and i love it thanks btw) but other than that its a stock truck. and when i say that that the hitch and the shackle are touching i mean it has less than 1/4 in between the two so when your driving im sure it does hit at times, and seems to me that longer shackles may make it worse OR i could be wrong and the longer shackles may make it better as i might move the shackle slightly forward away from the hitch im not sure how that will work. And lets keep in mind that i saw two different hitches on two different explorers one was a Hidden Hitch witch covered the whole width of the shackle and the other was a Dwaw Tite witch only covered the inner part of the shackle. i hope all of this makes since as people understand things different from others, but i have explained the best i know how. ANY help will as always be greatly appreciated. And BTW i have seen all the works to doing the lift this forum is where i got the idea of course but i have never heard of anything with the lift with a hitch and in the videos and pics i never saw or noticed a hitch in place. Thanks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shackles cleared the factory hitch on my 2000 by a long way.

well thats good to hear but i dont have a factory hitch and what length are your shackles? im just wanting to do the two in for now maybe more later. but ill be buying a after market hitch like hidden hitch or reese

i have a Reese hitch and War-153 shackles and they clear no problem .

0548c14a.jpg

you can see in the picture its really not even close.

ill snap a few more just so you can see a little better

Ok well do you know how long the shackle is from bolt eye to bolt eye? And how much lift did you really get? I know those shackles say a 2 inch lift but but I was wondering if you really got the whole two inches.

Ok well do you know how long the shackle is from bolt eye to bolt eye? And how much lift did you really get? I know those shackles say a 2 inch lift but but I was wondering if you really got the whole two inches.

I got about 1-1.5 inches. Paired with Monroe coilovers I got about 2-2.5. I knowmautozone sells shackles for like 20$ that are sturdy and adjustable for 3 positions

Back