• Register Today It's free!

hitch after body lift

97sllim726

Reaction score
City, State
Troutdale, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
has anyone come up with a good idea to lift there hitch after there body lift, I saw an explorer today with a 4 inch superlift and 3 inch body and his hitch was solid with his bumper but I couldn't ask him how he did it, if anyone knows how please tell me thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leave it where it is....
if you do make brackets for it or whatever, it wont be as strong.......

If you have a good fab man... just get one customed made. That's what I'm gonna do.

Yeah, only directly bolted to the frame is the stongest. If you are only towing a small trailer for boats or something, you can make brackets....

If you get a shop to fabricate brackets using the same grade metal material, then it would be as strong as the aftermarket ones. Just don't go crazy on the size and length of it.

about 2 minutes with a plasma, 5 with a grinder, and 5 with a welder will give you what you want.

then a few for the rattle can.

ask LimitedEx on the forum. he has a body lift and his looks like its really close under the bumper and it is a stock hitch. i forgot who he said made it though.

Attachments

• hitch[1].jpg
    hitch[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 304

Mine is a straight bar hitch that has big honkin' brackets that bolt to the frame and drop straight down to the center bar. The center bar bolts to these brackets via 4 bolts (per side). I'm planning on redrilling holes 2.5" higher and then having a shop cut off the bottom of the bracket.

It depends on what kind of hitch you have and how it mounts to the frame. The hitch that I have mounts using brackets that look like a C, where on the upper part of the C you have the holes to mount the bumper and the bracket to the frame, then the lower part of the C has holes for the hitch itself, then the middle open part of the C is where the bumper would slide in. All I did was drilled a couple extra holes in the middle of the C bracket, and used those holes to mount to the frame, instead of using the holes on the top of the bracket. I had to notch the frame a bit to allow the bumper to fit, but it worked perfectly.:D I can post a pic or two if you like...

how about mounting it upside down on the top of the frame rails?
might not work, but just a thought :confused:

i saw the upside down on my friends old bronco, but i have a tubular hitch from u hual, so im tryin to figure what i can do or if i should just take it off and sell it to a friend and get a different one, hey some pics would be nice

Yeah man, I can snap a pic in the morning and post it after I get home from work..

Back