Belt alignment issue after 4.6 motor swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt alignment issue after 4.6 motor swap

sjorda1

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 Explorer with a 4.6 engine. However, the engine did not come out of a 2002 Explorer and I have no idea what vehicle it came out of (Bought the Explorer off Craigslist and no info from the guy I bought it from other than it had a motor swap). Everything works fine except the power steering pulley will not line up. There are only two bolt holes on the timing cover for the Explorer power steering pump to bolt up to, and no bolt holes on the block that line up with the power steering pump. With only two bolts holding it, the pulley is unable to line up with the other pulleys. There is a bolt hole away from the pump in the direction of the firewall that could possibly be used with a proper bracket. However, I don't know what the bracket looks like.

All the pulleys line up perfectly except for the PS pulley. I am at a loss what to do here. I have already chewed through 3 belts and the only way to get it to work
is to cut one of the ribs off the Serpentine belt.

Anyone with any insight into this issue? I assume I need to find out what vehicle this block came out of and use the power steering pump bracket for that particular vehicle. I am beyond frustrated with this situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you post a pic of the ps pump and belt?

take a pic of the motor and whaever isnt lining up...maybe we can help then....

Mustang engines I believe have the P/S located in a slightly different position that the explorers. I know that the belt drive system is different. The explorer has more idler pulleys. Is the engine block aluminum or cast iron? If it is cast iron it is not a 4.6 from an explorer.

Hi all, I will take some photos after I pull the pump back off to show my dilemma. I contacted the original owner again, and he did some checking and he said he thinks the engine came out of a late 90's Mustang GT. There is no way the Explorer PS pump will bolt up to this block without some sort of bracket.

matt0248, the block is aluminum.

If this is a Mustang engine, how do I get this to work? I am tired of the belt squealing continuously.

Here is a pic of where the Power Steering pump bolts up at. I have removed the pump. There are not enough bolt holes! Only the two bolt holes on the left on the timing cover line up with the Explorer pump. I really have no idea what engine block I have. It may be a Mustang block, heck it might be a Mercury engine. I hope someone can recognize the block from this pic.

powersteering2.jpg

Here is a pic of where the Power Steering pump bolts up at. I have removed the pump. There are not enough bolt holes! Only the two bolt holes on the left on the timing cover line up with the Explorer pump. I really have no idea what engine block I have. It may be a Mustang block, heck it might be a Mercury engine. I hope someone can recognize the block from this pic.

powersteering2.jpg

There is probably a bracket that is missing then. Check fordparts.com to see if you can find the bracket. Aluminum blocks are explorer engines.

Back