Throttle Body Help

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I just did a search and came up with nothing for my explorer throttle body (on the forum). I want some more kahonas at the rear wheels because 170-180 rwhp (guessing about that much) is just not cutting it. So I want a throttle body. 70mm is what I am looking for. Will a Mustang or Ranger TB for the 4.0L fit our different style intake plenum? I am mainly wondering if all the bolt holes would line up.

EDIT: Nevermind, answered this myself. The part numbers are the same so they should in theory work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope it works, cause if it does I'm gonna order one, the ex needs more balls

I hope it works, cause if it does I'm gonna order one, the ex needs more balls

I think I can get it to work. We'll see at the end of next week, or in 2 weeks. I may have to buy a Mustang TB gasket but who knows. The "Carburetor Spacer Plate" (as ford calls it) may not work with a new larger TB.

I definately do agree, the Ex needs more balls. I got beat by a mazda miata.... :( Thats why I need power.

I think I can get it to work. We'll see at the end of next week, or in 2 weeks. I may have to buy a Mustang TB gasket but who knows. The "Carburetor Spacer Plate" (as ford calls it) may not work with a new larger TB.

I definately do agree, the Ex needs more balls. I got beat by a mazda miata.... :( Thats why I need power.

Ouch a miata. I raced my friends 01 v6 mustang, beat that but I think the exhaust leak she had was contributing to that loss.

Anyway let us know what happens with the TB I am interested in getting a new one myself.

EDIT: Nate did you see this one http://www.jegs.com/i/BBK+Performance+Products/129/1901/10002/-1 ?

No I didnt actually. I am wondering this about that; is it a cable throttle body or an electronic one?

No I didnt actually. I am wondering this about that; is it a cable throttle body or an electronic one?

Hmmm good question. The search I did was for a 2002 explorer. Its odd though because bbk shows a different TB on their site for 02 explorers.

Hmmm good question. The search I did was for a 2002 explorer. Its odd though because bbk shows a different TB on their site for 02 explorers.

I actually read the 04+ stock TB is slightly smaller than the 02-03 TB. The 04+ will be a different model than the 02-03

04+
mustangtuning_2162_510051553

Photo Credit: American Muscle

02-03 style
throttle_body.jpg

Photo Credit: Explorer Express

I actually have been reading aftermarket throttle bodies don't really give an increase.
Any thoughts on this?

its minimal at best. From what I've gathered it'd help your exhaust sound a tad better, and make your throttle more responsive. Maybe a quicker acceleration too. For the same price as the TB from Jeggs get yourself a tuner

I actually have been reading aftermarket throttle bodies don't really give an increase.
Any thoughts on this?

I figured itd be worth it after exhaust and intake. I was going to get one after I got exhaust headers but Im also undecided on those.

From my experience with Mustangs a larger TB will mainly give you better throttle response unless your already pushing some serious power. IMHO

BTW My '94 Mustang GT 5.0 w/Trickflow Heads, TFS1 cam, Trickflow Street Heat intake, full bolt-ons, and a 100 shot of N20 only runs a 70mm TB. I wouldn't get a 75mm TB for that car unless I do a 347 stroker motor or put a supercharger on it.

Let us know how it works out, Nate.

for the money, though I think gears will make your truck accelerate noticeably better especially if you have slowed it down with larger tires.

Ditto. I don't know how restrictive the stock equipment is, but I think gears would probably be a bit better.

Let us know how it works out, Nate.

for the money, though I think gears will make your truck accelerate noticeably better especially if you have slowed it down with larger tires.

How did you re-gear your Ex Ronin?

Here's a thread where I went over the part numbers I used:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282464

The rear axle was pretty obvious...8.8 IRS SUV type (31 spline). Took a bit to figure out what the front axle was (Dana Super 30) but once that was clear I was able to get the right parts.

Hands down the best mod I've done yet in terms of making the truck feel like it has more power.

the stock TB size is the same as GT mustang (whatever mm that is...)
as far as putting a bigger TB with exhaust, intake, tune... MIGHT get a little better throttle response, i wouldn't expect to gain a whole hell of a lot.
like ronin said for the money id go for gears first

Yeah, I'm probably re-gearing next year. Along with a set of nice 31's and some custom wheels.

I have swapped my throttle body for the 2v 4.6 racing TB on my second Gen but the only difference Ive noticed is the response if there is a power gain you don't feel it.I'd say gears or a tune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back