• Register Today It's free!

Help with mods

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
Ok so i finally caved in an bought a 70mm(i believe) intake plenum to match up to my 70mm throttle body.

I have a few questions before I install.

Currently I have cai, cat back exhaust 70mm throttle body.

Would I need to get a bigger or different maf?

i plan on getting a tune after the install of the plenum to tie everything together.

does the bigger maf do anything?

Side info: 2002 v8 4.6L

Also i beleive zerodevil is one of the only other ones who installed one of these. Would the plenum change the exhaust note? I noticed with the throttle body more crisp response and slight change in sound

after a tune and plenum i should be around 300hp :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest it. Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong/elaborate, but it's my understanding that with the stock MAF but bigger throttle body/Plenum there's still untapped airflow that you can gain by going to a bigger MAF.
To answer your question, a bigger maf allows more airflow into the TB/Plenum. It should help modestly with performance gains.
Edit: not sure if it will change sound

do you know any company besides jet. Jet says its reprogrammed off a stock one so it would be compatible and not require immediate tune. on hensons site it says will need a retune

ohhh yeah with all that you'll definitely want to retune no questions even if it's compatible. for other companies (and a lot of other stuff) BBK makes some really good products, I'd definitely look into them. They're big in the mustang stuff but it's the 4.6 so I'm sure you could make it work. I'm jealous of you 4.6 guys haha

just wondering if its worth 300 beans if it will make a difference i plan to tune regardless after plenum install

hmmm now that I don't know. it might not make that much of a difference after a tune, for that kind of thing you might want to talk to James...

looks like im going to have to call james before i willy nilly buy something

that's what i'd do. Curious to see what he says and I want to see 300hp!

I prefer the C&L plenum it's what I run on my Mustang GT. I currently run a C&L maf but they suck. I'd go with either a Pro-M or (in my case) an Abaco digital maf. My car is dyno tuned with SCT software. I like their stuff. I think you may need to add some headers & high flow cats to make 300 flywheel hp though, but it'd be fun. Kinda wish I had a 4.6 in my Explorer too. :(

called and talked to james, he said the maf wouldnt do anything for me and recomended i get headers and under drive pulley's not sure if i want to do the headers I heard they are a nightmare to install.

called and talked to james, he said the maf wouldnt do anything for me and recomended i get headers and under drive pulley's not sure if i want to do the headers I heard they are a nightmare to install.

He is right. The stock parts are already large enough. Pulleys, exhaust, electric fan, air intake, and tune are all more worth the money.

The tune I got from James(91 street) knocked .5 seconds off my 1/4 mile time;)

Are there any headers that fit? I have the 4.6 as well. I tried bbk headers with no joy. They don't fit the engine compartment. I tried like hell, but nothing.

Ok so i finally caved in an bought a 70mm(i believe) intake plenum to match up to my 70mm throttle body.

I have a few questions before I install.

Currently I have cai, cat back exhaust 70mm throttle body.

Would I need to get a bigger or different maf?

i plan on getting a tune after the install of the plenum to tie everything together.

does the bigger maf do anything?

Side info: 2002 v8 4.6L

Also i beleive zerodevil is one of the only other ones who installed one of these. Would the plenum change the exhaust note? I noticed with the throttle body more crisp response and slight change in sound

after a tune and plenum i should be around 300hp :)

those the throttle body bolt rite up what type is it i have 2002 explorer v8 im looking into putting some mod to. i have some mustang gt and mach 1 part i have 03 mach 1 mustang like to know what fit on my explorer.

Back