4WD Auto to 4WD high? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Auto to 4WD high?

I have a 96 with the 2WD, 4WD Auto, 4WD Lo settings. Does anyone know how, if possible, to switch the 4WD Auto setting to 4WD High? When in 4WD Auto the front axle only engages when the rear wheels slip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been working on this and I beleive I have found the solution. I plan to test my theory out tomorrow. I am going to run a 12V lead to the vaccum modulator in the front axle and I am going to see if I can get ito to engage. If so, I will just be able to pop it into 4-auto and in doing so I will have 4-high.

Let me know if it works. Good luck!

Jason 25,

You have it a little backwards.
True, you need to have your front axle disconnect engauged. But you can accomplish this buy just simply selecting 4WD Auto. This will keep your front axle and driveshaft spinning.
The part you have backwards is that is the torque-on-demand clutch in the transfer case is what needs to be engauged to have 4WD High as well. That is what you want to send 12 volts to while your in 4WD Auto.

If you need any help with the wiring, take a look at a Ford electrical service manual for the Explorer. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs

Well, did it work?

I wanna do the same thing! please tell me if this works! Another question, why is everyone so touchy when you type in CAPS????? :bounce:

Originally posted by IAmTodd
I wanna do the same thing! please tell me if this works! Another question, why is everyone so touchy when you type in CAPS????? :bounce:

Because no one here will pay any closer attention to what your writing just because you are using CAPS. Everyone member on this site deserves the same amount of attention.

Regarding your transfer case.... Yes, this works.

Alrighty then, how do you actually do it then?

How Do You Do.....

And how do you do this?

ummm......BUMP?

I'm pretty sure the wire is in the harness that is under the carpet under the drivers seat. You will need to use a relay and you can probably put in a switch to switch back and forth between the auto and hi settings. I did something similar in my 98 except I made it so when in auto 4x4 and the tires spin, the front does not engage. Now I have 2wd (mostly for fun).

For now, there is no resolution to this problem. The computers in the explorer are capable of more than just 12V on and off. For the transfer case clutch, they send what is called a "pulse modulated" signal. This signal is hard to duplicate and if you run just a normal 12V lead to the brown wire that engages the transfer case clutch, you would probably fry it.

I did the same thing with a DPFE sensor. It sizzled and smoked :D

#1. thatz not good
#2. I'm SOL?

No, you're not totally SOL.

For a modest price, you can find a manual shift Borg Warner model 1354 transfer case that will bolt right up to everything. Not to mention, it is stornger than your current transfer case.

well, i really don't wanna spend alot of money for something i'm prolly not gonna use very much, i was really looking for something like running a wire and a switch and be done w/it. but not swapping transfer cases and running linkage and all that poo. so thanx alot though!

Back