'06 Mounty 4.6L - Misfire P0302

thebrakeman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
My wife got a flashing engine warning lamp last night, and pulled over and called me (bless her!). After shutting down and restarting, the lamp was solid. So I told her to come home gently as long as it's solid.

When I got home, my ScanGaugeII pulled a code "P0302", misfire on cylinder #2 (after searching online and here). I cleared the code, and went around the block. Felt rough, and by the time I got home, P0302 was back.

This morning, cleared the code, and swapped coils #2 and #3. Took it for a spin, and unfortunately, the code is still P0302. So it does not appear to be the coil.

We purchased this '06 Mounty V8 in August with 74,000 miles, and now has ~82,500. The previous owner said he's put 8 new Champion Double-Platinum #7989 at some point (I have a note out to him for the mileage). He said he managed to not break any of them, and put the recommended lube on the new ones.

I'd rather not touch the plugs until I've exhausted all other cheap/easy options. Anything else I should check before I pull plug #2?
Also, I have no proof that the plugs were changed, although I have no reason to believe otherwise. But what would the markings/branding be on the plugs, if these turn out to be the originals. Of course, if that's the case I'm due for all 8 plugs to be changed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs are most common, coils rarely go bad on 3 Valve motors.

Although I'm sure you would've noticed when swapping coils, make sure there isn't any moisture in the coil area.

Plugs are most common, coils rarely go bad on 3 Valve motors.

Second this. As far as how to tell if the plugs are original I don't think you can see any markings since the plug sits so far down in the well. I would assume even if the former owner changed the plugs that he didn't do them correctly with the anti-seize and follow the TSB to pull the plug for that cylinder.

Willied - I forgot to check for moisture when I swapped the coils. I just pulled #2, and dry as a bone.

steve - Actually, the seller said he did use some lubrication. When he was telling me this during the test drive, I didn't know what I know now about the plugs, so I didn't think much of it. But now that I know, his comments came back to mind.

I suspect he did change the plugs, but one of them just went bad. I think I'll go ahead and risk it, and change this one plug.

Everyone is saying to use the original Motorcraft, but some places are saying the Champion is as good, but with a more durable 1pc design (less likely to break?).
I'd like to swap this 1, but keep it matched to the other 7 Champions.

I would go ahead and try to pull them out. If they were moved in the past 20-30k miles, you should be OK. I have champions for the past 18k miles and I am good.

Everyone is saying to use the original Motorcraft, but some places are saying the Champion is as good, but with a more durable 1pc design (less likely to break?).
I'd like to swap this 1, but keep it matched to the other 7 Champions.

I thought it was better to use the Champions with the 1 piece design.

It was the plug. New Champion is in, and all is well.
Thanks!

sorry i'm new to all this, i think i need to replace my spark plugs too. so how exactly do u do this? (i dont even know where they are, im ognna have to go look)

so there are 8 in the ford explorer? letm e know guys!

Hi D07-

Yes, your 07 ironman has 8 of them (it's not "joke" question" from OP I suppose), I take it seriously since my Hemi Ram had 16 of them on v8.
Do lots of reading on that because you may have problems with changing them. Read here and alos on F150 forum since the 5.4 from 2004-2008 had same problem.

Good luck

Back