trac won't start 80% of the time, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trac won't start 80% of the time, need help

flushot70

Reaction score
City, State
waterford, mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
my problem started about a week ago, when i turned the key to start the truck everything was normal until i turned the key all the way to the start position then nothing happened. i then turned the key off and on sevral times before i could turn the key and get the starter to engage. this happened a few times until it just would not engage the starter. i get no click click i get dead silence when its acting up.
so i park the truck and drive a spare car to work for a week. everyday before i go to work i will turn the key to the truck to see if it will start. i do the same thing when i get home from work. 80% of the time i get the silent treatment but then the other 20% it starts right up with no issue. when it starts i can turn it off and start 20 times if i want to, but if i let it sit for any amount of time wheather be 5 min. or until the next day its a crap shoot on what will happen.
ive checked all the wires going to the battery and starter and cant seem to find any problems. i thought it might be the pats system acting up but i dont get the rapid theif light blink until i try a key that does not have the little circiut in it. iv'e tried moving the steering wheel up and down with no luck. i,ve also putting the gear shifter in different postion and that did no good eithier.
when the truck wont start with the key i am still able to turn the ignition key on and go under the truck and jump the soliniod and start the truck.

today is my first day off from working 80 hr. work weeks for the last month and a half. i have to get this figured out today because i dont know when my next day off might be. so i head out to the truck this morning and hope it dont start so i can look for something wrong. i come out to the truck and it starts just fine. i start it 30 times it fires right up every time. im lost on what to start digging into. it just seems so ramdom with no rythm or reason to why it will or wont start. thanks for any help.

Take a hammer an smack the starter a few times. That will help it start but only for a few times. Ultamately you need a new starter. Oh and your truck will only start in either park or neutral. Incase you didn't know.
My camaro did this to me, replaced starter. Works perfectly

Mine did the exact same thing. Hammer trick is how i got it to my mechanic haha.

thanks, guys. i just went out and put a hammer in the truck. so far the truck has started every time i have tried it today.
the starter looks like it will be a pain in the butt. i see the dampener will have to come off. possibly the diff will have to be lowered. i dont think i could pull this job off today with the light i have left. i guess i wait for the next day i have off.

Back