Ipod issue/ SYNC only recognizes when car starts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ipod issue/ SYNC only recognizes when car starts

artnalex

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
If I plug-in my iPod after that car has started, it does not recognize the iPod.

But, if I plug it into my car before I start the car (and before the radio turns-on), then it will recognize the iPod.

Is that just how it is for everyone else who has an iPod?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I plug-in my iPod after that car has started, it does not recognize the iPod.

But, if I plug it into my car before I start the car (and before the radio turns-on), then it will recognize the iPod.

Is that just how it is for everyone else who has an iPod?

Mine seems to be hit or miss on whether it recognizes it. So far, I am very disappointed in the technology of the Explorer. Great in concept and looks but frustrating that things don't always work. The USB in mine seems to work most of the time with my iPod but seldom with my iPhone.

I also own a 2010 Honda Pilot. While it doesn't look as good inside or out, everything works flawlessly. NAV is fully functional when vehicle is moving, USB interface works 100% of the time with iPod and iPhone. Front/rear parking sensors, better concept on interior space, etc. Typical Japanese product.

I think the Explorer will grow on me but right now I have some buyer's remorse.

I am running SYNC ver 2.7. My 3rd generation IPOD touch is recognized whether it is plugged in before or after the car is started. I use it to listen to audio books and it works great.

I am running SYNC ver 2.7. My 3rd generation IPOD touch is recognized whether it is plugged in before or after the car is started.

Same here, except ver. 2.4 Ipod Video Classic

Have you all verified that you are running the latest version of the iPod software?

Yep. Most recent version.

Imagine your radio with nothing plugged into the USB port. That is how my radio looks, even though my iPod is connected. It does not recognize the media player. No errors.

Imagine your radio with nothing plugged into the USB port. That is how my radio looks, even though my iPod is connected. It does not recognize the media player. No errors.

What kind of iPod do you have and are you still having this issue? Also, how long has this been going on?

Please let me know when you get a chance.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

I have a 2012 Ford Edge. I am having the very same problem with my iPod touch, now when I plug it in to USB it says there is no playable media but will allow me to play iPod through the bluetooth connection. The local service department says there is nothing wrong with vehicle. Please advise.

Rebecca,

I have a 2012 Ford Edge. I am having the very same problem with my iPod touch, now when I plug it in to USB it says there is no playable media but will allow me to play iPod through the bluetooth connection. The local service department says there is nothing wrong with vehicle. Please advise.

Hey, Javaman!

I responded to your private message. Check it out when you get a chance!

Rebecca

Back