Adjusting toe to fix steering wheel alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adjusting toe to fix steering wheel alignment

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Guys,

Would it be safe to use the "string method" to adjust the alignment of my steering wheel and ensure that the toe is still good? My alignment is fine now but the steering wheel is off and it bugs me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've thought about using a string myself. However I always revert to the old tried and true tape measure. I set the front end so the steering wheel is straight, then adjust the outer tie rods to get the toe in correct. Just think about which way the steering wheel has to move, and adjust tie rods accordingly.

I use 4' framing levels hung by a string on both tires, and position the levels so they are level in the middle of each wheel. Using a tape measure, I measure the distance between front and back side of the tires. Setting the toe at 1/8" to 1/4" in at the front.

Locking the steering wheel fixed dead center can be a issue if the intermediate shaft has any play in it. That is a common problem with these rigs as they age. I have to change mine out and re-set the toe as well. Always something with these trucks. :rolleyes:

My truck does have some play in the steering shaft but not too much, about average for the age. I just want it close.

I use the tape measure method and a couple levels or a level and the spec9100 to get the toe set correctly.

I "try" to get the left front tire straight when I'm doing it. If, after I'm done I find the steering wheel isn't straight I just move the adjuster sleeves on both sides to turn both of the front wheels the direction I need. Just change them the same amount.

So far that method has been working for me.

Using the level method (one on each side).
4657936135_f8950a3149_z.jpg

DIY toe adjustment by maniak_az, on Flickr

Using the SPC9100 - I tried the string method at the same time but the body shap and track width made it very hard to use.
5698139096_22d6f9b24e_z.jpg

Checking the toe - pic 2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

Back