• Register Today It's free!

General Price Range

thomasx

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hey guys, i've been researching prices for explorers. I own a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT (non 4x4 :( ) However, I'm looking to sell the truck now. While i love my baby and have put a lot of work into her, i'm just not seeing the results or seeing the chances to do the work i really want to a car. I'm trying to see how much i could roughly get for a 70k mile explorer thats in great condition minus a few scratches and the black pillars have been repainted and repaired because of the dealer. I'm looking more to buy a car(i'm young) like a Honda Civic, Lexus is300(DREAM DREAM DREAM), Honda CRX, Toyota MR2, BMW e36 M3, WRX or a VW(Cant decide).

Not looking for a new car, hopefully i can find an IS300 i can afford with insurance(126$)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Explorers with similar miles sell for $6000 all day, but decent IS300's are ~$10k.

You could list your explorer for $8000 and just wait for the right person to come along and buy it and then offer $8k on every decent IS300 you find. You're going to hear a lot of "No's" but all you really need is that one "Okay".

But really, I'd just stick with a decent civic... I made the mistake in high school of getting rid of my decent Silverado for a Jaguar X-Type. I tell ya, when it came time to do repairs and maintenance on that thing, I was regretting it. I probably dropped more on tires and repairs than I paid for it!

Right before I bought the Jag, I had taken it to get inspected by a mechanic. While the car looked sound, he told me to just get a little honda (it was an import mechanic) and looking back, I wish I had taken his advice.

What about a BMW or a Audi? Are those even more expensive? I was looking at an Older BMW such as the E36 M3 or the AUDI S4. The IS300 is a dream car for me, and i've seen a few car around 8k on craigslist. Honda Civic would be nice, I love the CRX and if i could find a perfect in shape one of those i'd be happy(probably not, most have been changed to rally cars). However i do like the 99 Honda Civic SI. I would not however buy a Toyota Camry, Accord, etc. most stolen cars out there. BMW E31 ( 850i) also looks like a nice car.

I'm kinda looking for speed+nice looks, and something that can attract girls of course :)

stick with something practical, especially if you are young. mw's and lexus's are great cars if you have endless piles of money you are willing to throw at every little repair. even if you had all the money up front to buy a 300 or a 3 series bmw, you have to think about true cost of ownership. insurance costs more, registration costs more, you will have to buy premium grade gas, tires cost more, repairs and general maintainence costs more. when i was younger i would drive nice flashy cars, im only 29 and by now ive already learned that its not worth the headaches so earlier this year i sold my old ride and got me a solid used explorer. now my mind and my wallet are free of the headahces because i never have to worrie about 1300 dollar tires or 100 dollar oil changes only the dealer can do, or having to change out all th rotors every time i get the brake pads changed (bmw). now i have one more bmw to get rid of and its on to a jeep wrangler for the gf. trust me, get a civic or stick with the X!

stick with something practical, especially if you are young. mw's and lexus's are great cars if you have endless piles of money you are willing to throw at every little repair. even if you had all the money up front to buy a 300 or a 3 series bmw, you have to think about true cost of ownership. insurance costs more, registration costs more, you will have to buy premium grade gas, tires cost more, repairs and general maintainence costs more. when i was younger i would drive nice flashy cars, im only 29 and by now ive already learned that its not worth the headaches so earlier this year i sold my old ride and got me a solid used explorer. now my mind and my wallet are free of the headahces because i never have to worrie about 1300 dollar tires or 100 dollar oil changes only the dealer can do, or having to change out all th rotors every time i get the brake pads changed (bmw). now i have one more bmw to get rid of and its on to a jeep wrangler for the gf. trust me, get a civic or stick with the X!

yeah truee, the cost of insurance for the is300 is 126$ monthly for me, the x is currently all paid off and i just want something to work on and spend money into, the x is pretty much all done with work minus a cold air intake or a few other engine mods

my problem with the x is that, i love my ex, i just i dont know, i used to own a 2nd gen and i miss that version, i loved my 2nd gen it was the best car ive ever owned.

I was also thinking about a old crown vic again, i used to own a 99 crown vic and loved it.

why u looking after a bmw 3 series? that car is to smal for to much money.
a 5 series, x3, x5 or x6 should be a bit bigger ;-) and lot of more money to spend ;-)

a few weeks ago i drove an infinit f30 dsport. 3.0l diesel engine good anough to go around 240km/h on the highway ... and looks great as an suv.

m2c

cu tom

I paid $17,900 for my Ex in 2008 with 37000 miles on the clock.

Paid $200 for my 1984 300zx Turbo, (rusted heap, but now restored)

Paid $1000 for my 1988 300zx Turbo Shiro Edition one of 75 imported into Canada (had a blown engine)

You know i've actually been thinking about a 300zx an older model if anything. i've also thought about a rx8(if i could afford it). I would also like a Volvo, the new sports car one.

Back