Lube job? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lube job?

Popeye1959

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Silverado LS
I am getting ready to change the oil in my '03 Explorer Sport XLT 4x4 next week. Figured I would also grease it. Being this is a new to me vehicle, I have never greased it before. Wondering how many grease fittings there are and where (so I don't miss any) Can't find a diagram with this info, so I figured someone here might either have a link to one or could tell me how many and where they are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2004 has NO grease fittings. Typical of many newer cars the OEM parts have no grease fittings. Probably done to save pennies in manufacturing costs but no increase in longevity. Some replacement parts do have grease fittings.

What he said. All of the joints come sealed from the factory. Moog does make greasable ball joints and tie rod ends that you can swap in though.

Right now you can put a needle attachment on a grease gun and put some grease in your front swaybar bushings. There is no actual grease fitting on the OEM ones though.

You can get some from energy suspension that do have the zerk fittings built into the brackets to make it easier.

Thanks. It's cold, wet and nasty outside so I really didn't want to be crawling around looking for something that wasn't there. I have no intention of replacing parts just to put in a grease fitting. Not keeping this thing any longer than I have to so I'm not gonna put any more money into it than what is required to keep it road worthy.

1214111517.jpg

This post serves no purpose and is in no way helpful to your question, other then I found the title of the thread funny. So I took a pic of the can of "Lube Job" I keep on my desk at work. :D

That's OK, I purposely titled this thread that way to attract attention.

Using an aerosol can of white lithium grease, I have lubed the sway bar bushings, ball joints, door locks, hinges, and whatever else on the underbody that looked like it could use it. I figure a little coating of grease on the outside of the suspension might help a bit.

My Explorer's ball joints might need to be replaced, as they had some rips in the plastic sheath, in which I sprayed grease. It sounds alright...... for now.

Back