Stumped on squeaky rear noise

fordguy1990

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone!

First post, I've been a lurker here for a while, I love that this forum is so useful, but I'm having a problem that I'm completely stumped on and I hope someone can help me out.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4.0L with 220,000KM's on the odometer.

I have been having this squeaky problem in the rear end for about a month now, it hasn't gotten worse but it's annoying how squeaky it is. Over every bump it makes the noise, it's constant, not dependent on speed.

What I've done so far

- Greased the ball joints (Had to make my own grease fittings for them as they are sealed)
- Greased everything I could find bushings wise, et cetera.
- Looked at basically all other forum posts relating to this type of problem.

Why I'm stumped

After greasing everything, etc. I could never find the true source, and I hope where I am stumped that this turns a light on in someone's head.

I jacked up the issue side, took the wheel off and then jacked up the whole thing (Where the wheel was, where the ball joints, tie rod, axle are attached to) and no noise. I was like "Ummm, okay" and I am stumped. So I thought, hey maybe I fixed it by greasing it, so I put the tire back on and lowered it, then the noise appears again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's 0 degrees Celsius right now so I am working on it :)

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just redid the greasing on them, could it also be that they have just failed or that I'm doing it wrong? I don't fully remove the bushing, just grease inside it after I get that plate off of it, I grease on top and between the rod and bushing

They have never been replaced.

Spray or grease where the bushing contacts the bar. Access looks difficult in the third pic. If you can remove the bracket,
the bushing may be split for removal. If there's any gap between the bushing and bar, it's worn and should be replaced.

Spray or grease where the bushing contacts the bar. Access looks difficult in the third pic. If you can remove the bracket,
the bushing may be split for removal. If there's any gap between the bushing and bar, it's worn and should be replaced.

Thank you so much! It ended being that, ordered a new one, it's on it's way!!

Back