99 Mountaineer, switches on the console (front and rear)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mountaineer, switches on the console (front and rear)?

turboplz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
A lot of the interior electronics were missing when I got this truck, so I'm just now getting around to figuring out what is what. It's the 5.0 AWD version and it appears that I'm missing what looks like a couple switches. One of them is in the front of the console arm rest (where you can store cd's) and the other is below the rear heater controls on the back of the center console.

The stock radio had been removed and a cheap, wrongly wired, head unit was just thrown in the open hole and a piece of styrofoam. I'm guessing the rear portion that I'm missing (below the rear heat controls and vent) would be for rear radio controls? There is a sub in back on the passenger side, but I cannot get it to function going off the schematics I have found here. I'm assuming it's probably toast however since two of the speakers are on the fritz. Where is the stock amplifier anyhow?

Sorry I got a little off topic there, but any help would be greatly appreciated so I know what I'm looking for!

Oh, and the cigarette lighter plug is missing completely as well...not sure what that's about, haha!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one on the front of the armrest is probably for the CD changer, which is missing. The only controls on the back of the armrest are these:

mw_800.jpg

I wouldn't even mess with the sub. If the wiring is that hacked up and it's a JBL/Mach system, just put in a new deck, rewire the speakers, and if you want a sub, treat the truck like it never had one, and run an aftermarket one into the existing factory box per my thread. It'll be a LOT less hassle. SUB INSTALL

Pics of the amp are in there, it's mounted to the stock sub enclosure.

The one on the front of the armrest is probably for the CD changer, which is missing. The only controls on the back of the armrest are these:

mw_800.jpg

I wouldn't even mess with the sub. If the wiring is that hacked up and it's a JBL/Mach system, just put in a new deck, rewire the speakers, and if you want a sub, treat the truck like it never had one, and run an aftermarket one into the existing factory box per my thread. It'll be a LOT less hassle. SUB INSTALL

Pics of the amp are in there, it's mounted to the stock sub enclosure.

Thanks for the info. It was starting to drive me nuts not having a clue what those missing pieces were. Now that I think about, maybe there are supposed to be cup holders in the back under the vents?

I'll read up on your thread and when I get to the point of replacing the sound system, I will definitely like to keep the stock enclosure and similarly sized sub.

Yea, theres a set of cupholders that fold down in the back of the console.

Was the previous owner a meth-head or something? Whats the story on the hack jobs?

No clue about the previous owner, this car was a repo. But who knows what happened to it while it was sitting in impound.

The interior isn't too bad off really, just a lot of little things. Plus I'm missing the front driveshaft. It's a trade-off I guess, got the truck for a really cheap price, but I'm having to go back thru it and get it up to snub. Not really expensive stuff, just time consuming on my part. Though I am going to need to have the transmission rebuilt sometime this spring :thumbdwn:, but even after that I have spent less on the truck than what it's KBB value would be.

Back