XLT or NBX | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT or NBX

Good advice triton but google didn't know squat. Found it on Yahoo while Joe Dirt was posting the info. Looks like it comes down to matching what he posted. Good job Joe Dirt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's some BS that we can't just order those skid plates and bolt them on....

My 2005 has skid plates that are not factory install, but they were dealer installed.

Want the part numbers for the skid plates? I know Ford has a stockpile of them out in Michigan.
MO-Explorer
I have actually heard that 2003 NBX Explorers did not come with factory skid plates; maybe it was optional that year. The 2003s also only came with the XLT badges.
The 04s apparently did come with factory skid plates and the NBX badges.

I've worked on a few "NBX" Explorers and the 03's never have had skid plates, but they have the tow hooks and all the NBX stuff. The 04's always had skid plates on em.

EDIT: Going through your registry, I'm pretty sure you have an NBX. I had one in the shop last week that was an NBX and is a clone of yours.

NHarris said:
Want the part numbers for the skid plates? I know Ford has a stockpile of them out in Michigan.

Sure thing!

I'm sure they won't be as strong as an aftermarket set, but I don't really offroad so it'll be more than enough protection for me... Anything is better than nothing, as long as they're not overpriced.

Sure thing!

I'm sure they won't be as strong as an aftermarket set, but I don't really offroad so it'll be more than enough protection for me... Anything is better than nothing, as long as they're not overpriced.

Transfer Case is around $65
Fuel tank is $330

Actually since I have all the part numbers posted on my registry I'll post a link to the post. It has every part you will need, as far as I know of...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2889872&postcount=458

I guess I'm gonna start calling it a NBX for sure now. Thanks NHarris

That's not too bad! Thanks!!!

Beware the skid plate for the fuel tank is plastic. I'm not kidding you, I just picked one up in the junkyard for cheap (off of an 06) and its not metal to my surprise.

MOExplorer
Can you tap on your skid plate on the fuel tank and see if its plastic or metal? The 06's is plastic.

Beware the skid plate for the fuel tank is plastic. I'm not kidding you, I just picked one up in the junkyard for cheap (off of an 06) and its not metal to my surprise.

Interesting, do you get the feeling that it will hold up to mild impacts?

For 99% of off roading you, I, or anyone here will do, it will work just fine. When you get into the rock crawling, this wont take it.
Its a very stiff piece of plastic, and I'd run this any day over a bare tank.

It's just a thick plastic material. Hard enough to "seem" like metal though.

Thats what I figured when he said it was plastic. But it sounds good to me lol and I have no problem running a plastic one on the tank, will save a lot of weight and then stick with metal for all the other skid plates.

Yeah. The Differential Skid is metal. But the fuel tank skid is about twice the thickness. At least it appears so. It's raining or I would check to be exact.

When I get a chance I'll go out and measure to see for sure.

How would I go about ordering them? Just call up a dealership? Junkyards around me have got squat for 3rd gens...

Well got 100% answer today from ford. Kinda disappointing that it isn't an NBX, I guess its just an XLT with a lot of rare options.

"Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Charles and I am from the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I received your email regarding your 2003 Ford Explorer.

I understand that you are inquiring if your vehicle's trim level is an XLT or an NBX. I checked our records and verify that your vehicle is indeed an XLT.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Sincerely,
Charles
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company"

Sounds to me like it might as well be. The only difference seems to be the floor mats and the roof rack. So Whatever. I'm just gonna keep calling it an NBX. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good idea. I'm gonna have to look into that! :thumbsup: I need to get a roof rack as well.

Back