• Register Today It's free!

Explorer NBX

Steven68504

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer NBX
I'm thinking about finally trading in my very reliable and still excellent 1998 Mountaineer AWD for a 2003 Ford Explorer NBX. My question is: I go to Utah quite often. I did this last year and am going to do it again this year..I'm going on the White Rim Trail. Last year I did it in a rented Jeep Wrangler. Anyway, would an NBX with the "Off Road" package be "stout" enough to handle a trail such as the White Rim? Or would I still just tear it up? I'm planning on of course the 4x4 with the V8. My understanding is the "Off Road" package has the skid plates and a "specialized" suspension. I'm hoping that means heavier duty. I of course realize that any of the moderate to difficult trails in Utah would require a modified vehicle. I only plan on taking my personal vehicle on the easy to possibly slightly moderate trails. I have no desire to rip up a $35000 automobile on a trail it can't handle. But, if anyone out there has any experience with the NBX I'd be curious to hear. If the NBX is tough enough I'll probably go with it. If not, I'll probably go with a Ford F-150 or so. Thanks for putting up with the long post.

P.S. Would I be better off with the XLT Sport package? I see it comes and/or can get the same equipment on it.

I wouldn't really trust it anywhere but the road.

The only exception would be if you got the "Advance Trac" 4x4 package that greatly increases the traction.

Back