Help! Bad squeaking in springs or UCA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Bad squeaking in springs or UCA

bmeadow1

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS
Lately I have had some bad squeaking from my front end on every little bump and I can't tell if I need new shocks bc I still have stock ones or I need to lubricate my BTF UCAs since I haven't ever did that to them?

How long have you had the ucas on? My stock uca bushings started squeaking immediately after i installed the spacers

Spray some WD-40 onto your front swaybar bushings. That is the most commone place you will find frontend squeaks and it's the easiest to check. If the problem still persist, try lubing the UCA's next.

WD-40 is really just a bandaid and won't fix the underlying problem in your situation.

The BTF spacers put a lot of downward stress on the front swaybar bushings (the ones mounted to the frame) and make them prone to squeaking. I made a set of extended swaybar links using these instructions (even though the writeup is for a 2nd gen, it's really the same procedure pretty much) and lubed up the frame bushings with white lithium grease...they haven't made a sound in months and I now have less body roll in turns since the swaybar functions correctly again:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211&highlight=links

Back