98 5.0 2wd, pinion seal replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 2wd, pinion seal replacement

white_shadow

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt v8
are we talking rocket science here or is it just disconnect driveshaft, pull out yoke, replace seal, install driveshaft, and replace rear end oil while im there? or am i missing something? i think it has a 3.73 gear, whatever came in a 98 ex 5.0 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a crush collar in there that sets bearing preload, once crushed it crushes a little more pretty easily. You may want to mark the pinion nut and record the torque required to remove the net and try to reset it back as close as it was.

You might also find the yokes seal diameter to be dicked and putting a new seal in will only result in a chewed new seal and oil leak.

There is a crush collar in there that sets bearing preload, once crushed it crushes a little more pretty easily. You may want to mark the pinion nut and record the torque required to remove the net and try to reset it back as close as it was.

You might also find the yokes seal diameter to be dicked and putting a new seal in will only result in a chewed new seal and oil leak.

yeah, im getting a new yoke, seal and nut for it. i was looking for a speedy seal, but for a few $ more i can get everything new. also checking the vent while im under there and changing out the oil.

the PO said he had a seal put in, but im guessing they just slapped in a seal and that was all, now it will be done right. can i get the friction modifier at a parts house or do i need to go to ford to get it?

Friction modifier at parts house.

completed the job today, along with an engine oil/filter change. overall the pita factor was a 6. the dorman kit that includes the flange, nut and seal was a great idea....in theory...the seal included in the kit does not fit. after i got the correct seal everything went smoothly. almost 2.5 quarts of 75w140 and 4oz of friction modifier. damn used gear oil stinks. also found the front pinion bearing was worn pretty badly, so that was replaced. the race looked good and the pinion looked good, appears the bearing took the damage. the ring looks almost new, the spider gears showed a little wear, but i was expecting that since they have 170k miles on them.

Back