Front Pinion Seal Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Pinion Seal Replacement

red450ih

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
It's time to replace the front pinion seal on my '98 with TOD. Is there anything I should know/buy before I pull the nut off? I am little worried about the crush sleeve, that is if these units even have one. Also, What fluid should I put in the Tcase when I change it? The truck just turned 100K.

Thanks!
Keith

Obviously you will need the new seal.

I couldn't loosen the nut on my own a couple of years ago, so I took it to a shop so they could use an impact gun on it to remove it.

I was going to replace it myself, and did it by removing the driveshaft, then with a centre punch and hammer, I marked the position of the nut on the pinion so I could realign them afterwards and tighten it slightly more during reassembly so as to not preload the bearings too much afterwards, but also to not underload them as well. As I mentioned, I couldn't perform the work myself because I don't have air tools so I took it to the shop and explained to the mechanic what I was going to do to replace the seal. He followed my instruction and replaced it. When I got home I pulled the driveshaft off to make sure he tightened the nut properly and he did. It has been two years since I had it done and no leaks or problems with the bearings.

Hope this helps,

Hoppy

Back