changing coolant 4L OHV burping air? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing coolant 4L OHV burping air?

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Everytime I change my antifreeze it seems a little of a pain to burp the air from it. I drain and flush out the old. I have a "prestone T" in the heater line where I can keep it open till antifreeze comes out as I add as the air expels there as I add to the radiator. I add about 5.5 qts of antifreeze and 5.5 qts of water (which is more than the owners manual state and the Haynes book state for capacity)...after driving around the block a few times, it takes forever to the temp gauge to register, and takes me stopping, removing the rad cap and relieving the pressure for a min...then the temp gauge goes about 3/4 up then drops

when I do this same proceedure on my 5.0: mountaineer I never have to "burp" the engine, I add the proper amount the first time and it is fine thereafter..

suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When adding coolant, squeeze the lines and start the engine with the rad cap off. Shake the truck too, sometimes it just aint easy getting the air out :(

...so keep the truck running as I am adding coolant? I do squeeze the lines (hoses) a bit and also try to pour some antifreeze in the "T"

the 4L seems to be finakee (sp?)...

...i just worry about head damage during the time getting the air out. If the gauge is not reading then I there is a air pocket in the top of the intake. (although I figure if I have 11 Qts of 50/50 then there is not much room for a air pocket)

Be sure the front of the vehicle is pointing up hill will help while you are refilling the coolant. I too have th burp the air out, that seems to be just the way it is. But, the 4.0 OHV is not the only engine that does this.

I always drill a 1/8" hole in the thermostat;
then clock the hole at the highest point in
the housing.

Some newer thermostats have this hole built
in, it's called a 'rattle valve'.

Just close the radiator cap one click and drive it around for a while. It will warm up faster with the cap closed but because it isn't fully tight the air will bleed off easier into the overflow tank.

^ thats a good idea. I've just always started it with the cap off, never thought to partially tighten it.

Having the front up hill didn't work for me. I let the truck idle for 1/2 hour and it never did burp (or overheat). Tried driving it around the block and after about 1/4 mile the temp gauge shot up to HIGH and it burped big time, blowing the top off the overflow tank. I had to stop and wait for it to cool down before limping home. I added antifreeze once I got home and then it was fine. I don't recommend this method. because you have to keep a close eye on the temp gauge and be prepaired to stop and wait for it to come down before adding fluid. It you let it get too hot you'll do some serious damage.

With having the cap on just to the first detent, be prepared to add more coolant, and clean up the mess from spilled antifreeze. Keep dogs and cats away.

With having the cap on just to the first detent, be prepared to add more coolant, and clean up the mess from spilled antifreeze. Keep dogs and cats away.

That depends if your next-door neighbors make a habit out of feeding stray cats that then use your yard for a litterbox and you can't work in the driveway without wanting to vomit. ;)

A bit off topic, but a good point. That was actually going through my mind when I wrote that.

I mean, I wouldn't do it on purpose but if it were to happen by accident it wouldn't bother me. My other neighbor has a couple of mean dogs that she rightly keeps behind a fence. Cat wants to sneak under the fence and get killed, hey, that's the cat's fault. Fence is actually there for two reasons, numsayin'? It sounded pretty ugly when it was going down though. I'm not a cat hater, I have a cat, but she's spayed and stays in the house. [/OT]

Back