not sure which to choose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not sure which to choose

mountaineer04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 mountaineer
what does anyone think i am goin to pull my tranny and t-case should i haave them rebuilt by a good shop or buy them? is most of the cost removal and install

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ the 2nd and 3rd gen transmissions are very different in a lot of ways...

My local Ford dealer straight up said that they would rather put in remanned trannies than to rebuild them. Interpret that as you will, but it makes sense to me. Cost ends up fairly similar in the end, so why not spend a little more and get something otherwise brand new with service updates? I'll be replacing my 5R55W in the near future as well.

With the 5R55, I would rather have it rebuilt by a knowledgeable builder. There are weaknesses, like the servos, that can only be remedied by a proper rebuild.

what does anyone think i am goin to pull my tranny and t-case should i haave them rebuilt by a good shop or buy them? is most of the cost removal and install

As of early last year, AAMCO Transmissions (a National Tranny shop Chain) told me the cost to R&R my Explorer tranny would be a flat rate of $850, then whatever parts my old tranny needed replacing during the rebuild process would be added on to that $850 starting cost. They wouldn't quote me a rebuild price upfront like other shops do. AAMCO tends to be higher in prices, but they also give one of the best standard warranty's I've seen from a tranny shop and that is a 3 year warranty. Most give just a 1 year/12K warranty for a rebuilt tranny. They also have lifetime warranty's as well, but I would imagine that tranny would cost more. I found this out while doing some research on tranny rebuilds in my area.
I wound up getting a "rebuilt" tranny done by another national tranny shop chain (but privately owned locally) "Continental Transmissions" and the total cost was $1650 as of Feb. 2011 with a 1 year warranty, paid for by the dealership I bought my Ex at. So far, so good with this rebuilt tranny with 8K miles on it since the rebuild.
This is what the owner of Continental Transmissions told me on the difference between a "rebuilt" tranny and a "remanufactured" tranny are. A rebuilt tranny is rebuilt by a tranny shop(re-using old parts and only changing damaged ones), using OE Ford replacement tranny parts or the same parts as the factory original and a "remanufactured" tranny, is remanufactured completely by a company that specializes in remanufacturing trannys, using "aftermarket" transmission parts that according to him, are built better and stronger than the Ford factory parts. So according to the Continental shop owner, the "remanufactured" tranny is the better tranny to go with, but they cost a bit more than a rebuilt one. If my Ex was to have gotten a remanufactured tranny from him it was going to cost $2350 or $700 more than the rebuilt tranny cost. Prices will vary depending on where you live.
Whatever you decide to do, do your homework and check into the tranny shop you want to take it to by doing a "Better Busniess Bureau" check of them and ask questions on what "new" parts will go into your rebuilt or remanufactured tranny. BTW, you "should" get a new "Torque Converter" included in the price quote with whatever type of tranny you go with from the shop, but ask to make sure just in case.

thanks for all the info what about the awd t-case seem to be as much as a transmission

With the 5R55, I would rather have it rebuilt by a knowledgeable builder. There are weaknesses, like the servos, that can only be remedied by a proper rebuild.

I agree with this 100%,

Back