Driving Directions will not Download.. Please Read!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driving Directions will not Download.. Please Read!!

samirosenjacken

Reaction score
I have a 2011 ford explorer that has been having this problem since I drove the car off the lot. My ford has been to the dealership about 10x to get this fixed in the past year but it never works. Now, it's been at my dealership for a week and no one at Ford has any idea on how to get the driving directions to work. I need to know if anyone else has had this issue??

The voice commands work fine.. when the directions go to dowload to the vehicle I get an error that says driving directions will not dowload do you want to try again?? If I say yes, it tries but still doesn't work. This happens aout 75% of the time. It works properly 25% of the time. I am talking about turn by turn directions. I have an iPhone 4s.

Ford says they never heard of this problem before but I find that hard to believe. Has anyone else had this issue with the turn by turn directions??

This is my 2nd phone.. and it has happened with both phones. I have driven 3 other fords and used my iphone to get driving directions and they work fine. Please let me know if this has happend to you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Out of curiosity, are you using Mapquest or the Ford App to send the directions to your vehicle?

I also have a 2011. I didn't have this problem until I got the new software. Now it works about 20% of the time

Seriously frustrating because it was something I used and appreciated.

Took it in and they reset it. Worked ok a couple times, but still has problems.

Most likely will be the reason I won't buy another ford.

Are you talking about Sync directions? Or with the Ford Navigation system?

I do not use an app to send directions. I am talking about the sync turn by turn directions. No app is needed from what I understand. Am I incorrect? 25% of the time it works correctly.

I do not use an app to send directions. I am talking about the sync turn by turn directions. No app is needed from what I understand. Am I incorrect? 25% of the time it works correctly.

Which method are you using to send directions? I am guessing you are using the syncmyride website and saving addresses to download to your vehicle for the turn by turn directions.

You are correct that no app is needed, but you should download the Sync Destinations app and give it a try. You should also give Mapquest a try and see if that works downloading to your vehicle without any issues. I have the My Ford Touch with Navigation, but it's the same concept. I can use either the sync website, Destinations app, or Mapquest to send the address for directions. I always use either the app or Mapquest and I've never had an issue with the download not working.

boltsfan.. I am confused

I don't log in addresses or send info to the car with turn by turn directions. All I do is call services from my car (using sync) and request directions to a certain location. It is my understanding that is all you have to do. No app.. no sending directions to the car from the website. Just call services, give the information and the directions download to the vehicle. Am I correct??

I do not have navigation... this is simply turn by turn directions.

I don't log in addresses or send info to the car with turn by turn directions. All I do is call services from my car (using sync) and request directions to a certain location. It is my understanding that is all you have to do. No app.. no sending directions to the car from the website. Just call services, give the information and the directions download to the vehicle. Am I correct??

I do not have navigation... this is simply turn by turn directions.

You are correct, but there are other ways to get directions sent to your vehicle like what I mentioned before. I am just saying you should give the App or Mapquest a try and see if you still have issues downloading the data.

I have a 2011 ford explorer that has been having this problem since I drove the car off the lot. My ford has been to the dealership about 10x to get this fixed in the past year but it never works. Now, it's been at my dealership for a week and no one at Ford has any idea on how to get the driving directions to work. I need to know if anyone else has had this issue??

The voice commands work fine.. when the directions go to dowload to the vehicle I get an error that says driving directions will not dowload do you want to try again?? If I say yes, it tries but still doesn't work. This happens aout 75% of the time. It works properly 25% of the time. I am talking about turn by turn directions. I have an iPhone 4s.

Ford says they never heard of this problem before but I find that hard to believe. Has anyone else had this issue with the turn by turn directions??

This is my 2nd phone.. and it has happened with both phones. I have driven 3 other fords and used my iphone to get driving directions and they work fine. Please let me know if this has happend to you!

Hi, samirosenjacken!

Please send me the following information in a private message so I can open a research ticket for you:

Phone carrier
VIN
Approximate mileage
Last time/date SYNC Services was used

In the meantime, you can try what boltsfan17 suggested (Thanks, boltsfan17!), and make an appointment with your dealer to have your GPS module checked.

I also have a 2011. I didn't have this problem until I got the new software. Now it works about 20% of the time

Seriously frustrating because it was something I used and appreciated.

Took it in and they reset it. Worked ok a couple times, but still has problems.

Most likely will be the reason I won't buy another ford.

Please do the same. :)

Thanks!

Rebecca

You've got a lot of variables with Sync directions, including your phone signal quality, bluetooth connection quality, etc. If any one of those has a hiccup while you are trying to use Sync, it will crap out.

Personally, I use the Garmin solution. $125 for a closeout Nuvi. Works great every time. :D

Dear Samiroswnjacken,
I was wondering if you found a solution for this problem. I am having the exact same issue with my 2011 Ford Explorer. I have learned a valuable lesson in purchasing this vehicle.

Any advice you can offer to will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nightmare!

Dear Samiroswnjacken,
I was wondering if you found a solution for this problem. I am having the exact same issue with my 2011 Ford Explorer. I have learned a valuable lesson in purchasing this vehicle.

Any advice you can offer to will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry I have no advice. It's an absolute joke. Ford customer care is a waste of time and they don't return phone calls. Two ford dealerships don't return phone calls. Not only don't the turn by turn directions work, but now after a newest update my iphone can't connect to sync to let me verbally call people in my phone book. I can talk thru sync if I give an actual phone number but despite the fact that my phone book is in the system, it won't acknowledge it. I can't use the verbal commands on my music either. The whole thing is ridiculous. Then I get a Ford service mgr tell me he sees this crap all the time and the system works occasionally!! So basically Ford sold a product that doesn't work. I sent a letter off to customer care and the President of Ford.

Back