My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice

Bruces expo

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Middle GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
My a4ld Lost all Forward Gears , A4ld Guys Chime in Please !!

Well as some people know on here I put a Used Trans in my 91 Myself , I Had a Slight leak from the Get go , Always kept an eye on Fluids and the past few days have Read fine on the Dipstick , but Started to Hesitate to Go into Forward Gears ,

Well today took a Trip to Walmart to Grab some Groceries and Went to leave , Put in Reverse and backed out of the parking lot and put into D and Nothing , Would not pull in any Forward Gear , Reverse Worked Fine , So I drove the 3/4 Of a Mile Home in Reverse With allot of looks , Honks and Waves , But I had To make It Home ,

Any A4ld Experts want to Chime in and Throw some Advice my Way Before I start Taking this Trans out ?

Any and All Advice Is Needed , This is my DD and Need it back on the Road Asap ! , Thanks In Advance guys !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Looks like it will be Sitting for A While

Well my Pdf Manual Suggests - No/Delayed Forward Engagement , (Reverse Ok )

Low main Control Pressure (Leakage) .

Forward Clutch center Support Seal rings Leaking .

Forward Clutch assembly burnt/Damaged/Leaking .

Check Ball In Cylinder/Leaking Piston seal Rings .

Valve Body Bolts -- Loose/ Too Tight .

Valve Body Dirty/Sticking Valves .

Transmission Filter Plugged .

Pump Damaged, Leaking .

Well no new updates Minus I started the Tear down , Pulled the front seats , Center Console , And Pulled the carpet back to get to the Access Panel to remove the easy stuff first , Will be pulling this trans out as soon As I can and will open it up to find the Direct problem before I buy another Torque converter and trans combo , Would be nice If I can fix this current Trans !

Hey man, usually it is suggested to never drive a vehicle when the trans is malfunctioning. You can do a lot more damage. Drove home in reverse?!?

I'm hoping you have a blown VB gasket or something simple like that. It would be nice to know what your pressure reading are prior to pulling it apart.

It's too late for a Pressure Check , All lines are Disconnected , Transfer case is Dropped etc , The fluid Smells burnt so I'm sure its the Forward Clutch assembly burnt/Damaged/Leaking . Like my PDF manual Suggests , I found 2 Trans and Torque converter combos , 1 From a 89 BII , and 1 from a 93 , I can get the BII trans For about $125 if not cheaper , but it is weaker , The 93 is $250 if they pull or $150 If i Pull , Thinking I should go with the 93 as its the same year trans I am pulling out and its not the Weaker a4ld , Still open to either , but Will come down to cash time and effort if I want to pull , or Possibly let them damage something if they pull it ? ? Not sure what to do yet .

I'd look to go with the newer as you said, better parts...

If the fluid looks good in the replacement maybe you could rebuild the old one when you can, build it stronger so you have it on hand.

If your fluid is burned you are likely right. Cooked clutches burn fluid.

Yeah that was kind of the plan , Not sure how this will work with Very low funding , But I have stuff for sale on CL and on other forums !

Ah, if you buy parts as you can you'll have a rebuilt trans in no time. Ebay etc... You should post up some pics when you have it apart. Good luck dude.

Thanks but I cannot buy off of ebay , My only Resource is here , or Craigslist , I have some pics of it apart and loaded some earlier this year when I put this trans in !

I think the worst it can be is Burnt Forward Clutch assembly , But Not Too worried about this trans , it Was $100 bucks for the whole rusty parts truck I bought last year in Il , Now that I'm in Ga I have less tools and No garage to work in , So its a Little more Complicated , But I have had this same trans in and out 5 Different times before I got it to work the first time , So I remember how to remove and install it Easily !

Wow ha ha, no doubt you do have it down to a science. I was going to ask you about pulling the seats and going through the floor if it really saves that much time but obviously I will take your word for it. I was the same way with my old stang, I would have to replace the clutch every year and a half or so so I got pretty good at dropping the tranny. Touch of antiseize when putting it back in always helps a bit too.

The first time I tore mine down I Did Not remove the seats, console , Or pull the carpet and remove the Hump over the trans , It does make it Easier for me As I have a 3 Inch Body lift so the Body is Farther away from the Motor and Trans so You can get your hands in there Easier ! , I'm Glad my Rig is as Tall as it is otherwise it would have to be Raised to remove the Trans !

Good Luck... I'm not a trans expert, not even a novice. But, if my tranny went like that, I would be in a world of hurt. Hoping it's not a big deal, and as much as it stinks, my boss would say: This is a learning experience.

Anyway, Good Luck!

~Phil

Ever consider trying to find a parts ex with a 5 sp? Trade stuff with other stuff?

Thanks for the kind words Phil ! , I have thought about the 5 speed swap but I don't have the money to buy only what I need at the moment let alone A Parts truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have the trans out , Did it myself again , my jack about killed me , But I'm Fine , The Forward clutch assembly band was loose , not sure what I should do now

Back