• Register Today It's free!

V6 Roaring?

lingerfelt2016

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, so I'm not sure what's going on under my hood. Whenever it was summer time with hot weather, my V6 Explorer would "roar" (I guess?) as I accelerated, and I didn't pay much attention to it because I figured it was just due to the hot weather. But now, its around 45 degrees outside and at random times during an acceleration, my engine still "roars." It sounds like an 18 wheeler honestly, and I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about or not. Any suggestions, tips, troubleshooting? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fan clutch. see if a reprogram exists.

I found a bunch of people are having the same problem I am. Couldn't find any results for a reprogram online. I'll check in the morning if the fan rotates freely or not.

Make sure you aren't out of coolant. That noise is the auxillary fan trying to cool the engine. I had the same issue. Took it to my mechanic and the radiator had busted leaking all the fluid. Strangely the low coolant light never came on. Does your heater blow cold air when you stop accelerating?

Check coolant first, fan clutch second. My wife has been complaining about the Mountaineer roaring for months. The dealer replaced the fan clutch (extended warranty, thank you) but it still roared. At the last oil change they mentioned the coolant was a little low. I couldn't see anything in the overflow tank, I put in about a half-gallon of 50/50 coolant/water which brought the level up to midway between the COOL and HOT marks. The roaring has stopped and my wife has stopped complaining about it.

Back