Another issue with my '08 Sport Trac... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another issue with my '08 Sport Trac...

sgoss66

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac
Well, my ignition switch arrived today; I'll install it soon and hope it fixes the strange, phantom electrical issues I have been having, that I posted about a few days ago.

In the mean time, there's one other issue I've been having for a long time, and not sure if there's a DIY fix for it, or not.

I have been getting an occasional error from my TPMS. The error either says "Tire Monitor Fault" (most commonly), or "Tire Sensor Fault." The "Tire Sensor Fault" usually shows up AFTER a "Tire Monitor Fault" message has been indicated a few minutes before.

These faults ONLY occur at highway speeds, after about 20 minutes or so of driving. I had my sensors checked at the shop that installs my tires, and they said their check revealed all sensors working properly. My tires are inflated to appropriate pressure; I've never had a message about tire pressure issues, it's always the "Fault" message.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extra 3 lbs of air, eh? That's interesting. I'll certainly give that a shot, and report back. It may be a little while before I can verify if that works or not, as it's not that often I do 20 minutes of highway driving; I have only 10 minutes to work and that's not enough time to cause the error. However, I'll give 'er a shot, and see what happens.

Thanks!

Steve

my tire light has been doing the same thing sorta. the tire light would come on with low pressure, stay like that for a day, then out of the blue would flash tire monitor fault and tire sensor fault. that would flash for about a min or two then all lights go off and everything is back to normal. also how did you make out with the ignition switch?

dont forget high mileage, time will kill the batteries in the sensors. you could just have bad tire sensors.

Exrange -- strange stuff. So frustrating that the govt. mandated that these TPMS systems be installed on all vehicles, and what it ends up being is just another thing to break and cost car owners more money! As for the ignition switch, it just came in the other day, and I haven't yet changed it -- for one reason: right now, my electrical issues have "calmed down." While I'm sure it's temporary, I want to wait until things are acting up before swapping it out, so that I can verify that installing the new switch actually makes a difference. If I do it now, while I'm not having symptoms, then I won't know for sure (at least not immediately) if my problem is fixed.

waskly -- thanks for the reminder about the batteries. In my particular case, though, that's not it; I had the sensors checked and all batteries are good, in mine. It could be part of Exrange's issue...

Steve

my pet peeve with tpms were tire shops, that just break the sensors, and throw them into a tire or don't replace what they broke.

Really? Now THAT would tick me off! That'd be a tire shop that I'd NEVER do business with again, needless to say...

Steve

Back