Flashing O/D, no codes, Cruise works, Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D, no codes, Cruise works, Help?

balls4980

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
So I have been having the OD flash problem for about 6 months. I scan once in a while, but don't get any codes. Cruise works fine and when I hit the OD select switch, I can feel the OD switching on or off. I am going to try topping off the fluid, but if that doesn't work, I am at a loss. I want to avoid dropping the pan if I don't have to.

If I understand correctly, I can fill the fluid through the Torx plug in the tranny?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to the junk yard on Friday, so if there are any parts anyone feels are worth picking up, let me know. Any tips/tricks to narrow this thing down? Is it OK to just keep driving it until something breaks?

Thank you all for this forum. It is incredible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The scanner I have is an Innova 3150. Not sure if you know if that reads transmission codes. I have also had my local garage scan it and they too found no codes.

That scanner "should" read them, did you go into the enhanced menu?

I tried enhanced mode and ABS too. Today I got one of the C codes (can't remember the exact number) for the overdrive safety switch. I'll be swapping that out tomorrow when I top off the tranny fluid and see what happens then.

So, replaced the brake pressure/overdrive safety switch and cleared that code. Checked the tranny fluid. If anything, it was over filled. Color looked allright, but drained and replaced about 2 quarts since I was there. Checked the transfer case fluid and found it was 1/2 quart low. I forgot I had replaced a bad seal a while back. Filled that up and it runs A LOT better. Shifts smoother and quicker. O/D light still flashing though and still no codes. Any ideas?

Not sure if this is even possible or could be the cause at all, just thought I would share my experience with a flashing O/D light.

I had an off size tire when I bought my 2000 Explorer and I also had a flashing O/D light, when I finally got the $$ to replace my tires the flashing O/D went away.

Like I said not sure if this is an answer or even possible but I actually forgot all about the flashing O/D till I saw this post and realized it went away when i got new tires!

I've heard that about the tires before and also the rear speed sensor. Unfortunately, my tires are all worn evenly. I'm at a complete loss here. Just going to keep driving it. It's been 6+ months already anyway with no trouble, just an annoying flashing light.....

if the light flashes, a code is set.

check with the scanner mfg what range the codes it will read, will it only read from p0000 to p1000 or all codes. what network can it read etc.

From Amazon's website for the Innova 3150:
Key Product Features:

Powerful OBD2 tool quickly reveals "Check Engine" light warnings on any 1996 and newer car, light truck or SUV - foreign and domestic.
Retrieves OEM enhanced and transmission DTCs.
Diagnoses ABS codes on 1996 and newer GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.
Features unique patented all-in-one screen display and LED display for quick state emissions readiness check and drive cycle verification.
Automatic refresh updates data every 30 seconds when connected to the vehicle - an easy way to verify repair completion.
Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: generic codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) / manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3, and U1).
Communicates with all OBD 2 protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4.
Code definition displayed on unit in English, Spanish or French.
Displays freeze frame data.
Unit can be flash updated with a standard Windows PC (OBD-PC Link software required / included with tool).

I'm pretty happy with the quality of my scanner, but still no codes. I was also under the impression that if the light came on/flashed, there would definitely be a code, but I still haven't gotten one. I have scanned OBD, E-OBD, KOEO, KOER, ABS and even the SRS for fun. No codes.

Still going crazy with this light blinking. I'm thinking I'll just give this baby a full tune up and take it from there. If all else fails, does anyone know an easy way to pull this fuse/bulb?

I found with mine, when it was doing exactly the same, it was because I blocked the air-flow to the tranny cooler with my number plate as in pic, removed it & it was fine :D :australia

DSCN0063-1.jpg

I think this was because I have a body lift so the required amount of air wasn't hitting it through the grill.

Hello:
I may be the messenger with bad news. My o/d light was blinking away as well...Turns out that the Tranny was shot. I had to have it rebuilt. I certainly hope that is not the case with your truck, but it is something to think about.

Back