• Register Today It's free!

Anybody Put A Plow On A 3rd Gen.?

Aluminum

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I Have An 04 Explorer With The 4.0 I Was Wondering About Putting A Plow On It Anybody Done It or Know About It.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plow2.jpg

i googled it, they make one that fits, but it is not very strong,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264788

I Have An 04 Explorer With The 4.0 I Was Wondering About Putting A Plow On It Anybody Done It or Know About It.?

That 4.0 of yours doesn't really have a whole lot of power.... Personally I would think twice about making that kind of investment. Maybe look into a different vehicle to attach a plow to.

That 4.0 of yours doesn't really have a whole lot of power.... Personally I would think twice about making that kind of investment. Maybe look into a different vehicle to attach a plow to.

Well I Live In Ohio And We Have Snow Storms Getting Up To 2 1/2 Feet of Snow And I Have A Plow On My 4 Wheeler But We Get Too Much Snow For That To Push. And I Know My Ex. Has Way More In It To Push Snow Then A 4 Wheeler, Plus Winter Is Coming Up Soon And I Don't Really Have The Money To Buy Another Truck. So I That's Why I Was Thinking About Putting A Plow On My Ex.

Well I Live In Ohio And We Have Snow Storms Getting Up To 2 1/2 Feet of Snow And I Have A Plow On My 4 Wheeler But We Get Too Much Snow For That To Push. And I Know My Ex. Has Way More In It To Push Snow Then A 4 Wheeler, Plus Winter Is Coming Up Soon And I Don't Really Have The Money To Buy Another Truck. So I That's Why I Was Thinking About Putting A Plow On My Ex.

Another user from New York that used to be on here looked into it last year. He ended up buying a cheap pickup for a plow. He was worried about the lack of power of the 4.0 and damage to his transmission. If your ex is only 2WD that would be a big negative too.

Another user from New York that used to be on here looked into it last year. He ended up buying a cheap pickup for a plow. He was worried about the lack of power of the 4.0 and damage to his transmission. If your ex is only 2WD that would be a big negative too.

After Reading What You Have To Say, I Agree In The End It Might Do More Damage Then Good. Thanks

After Reading What You Have To Say, I Agree In The End It Might Do More Damage Then Good. Thanks

No problem. The user I'm talking about (who is unfortunately banned now and can't chime in himself) found an old F350 on craigslist (I think) and got it for really cheap.

If I were you I would wait until winter is over and try to find a nice used truck with a plow on Craigslist. I'm sure there will be people looking to get rid of them after the holidays. Then just hang onto it until next winter and start making money. It'll pay for itself after one season.

On second thought, hop on craigslist and look for one right now. There maybe somebody looking to get rid of a used truck with a plow for really cheap just to have money for the holidays.

The suspension on the 3rd gens is also not made for a plow, and will wear out fast. I have thought about it before, but it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth in the end.

FWIW: if you have a selectable transfer case with a "LO" range, you can switch to this mode for those few times in the year when you are going to plow your driveway or whatever. Doing so should multiply the vehicle's torque output by about 2.5x the original output. However, do not use 4wd (both HI and LO) on dry pavement as this will strain and could damage the drivetrain. Also, use 4LO only when you really need it as the 2002+ Explorers dont exactly have a very strong differential.

i know you guys are talking about third gen explorers here but i have a 2nd gen mountaineer that has the 4.0 and before i got it my dad used it as a plow truck/dd for like 3 years and never had any problems with it. and im still dding it and wheeling it and have no problem with the truck. so i would say your fine.

heres a few meyers plows i found.
http://www.meyerproducts.com/ezmatc...nded+-+Plows&gclid=CNzm5aiJ8LMCFep9OgodzUkA_g

2nd gen had a different suspension setup in the front.

If you like your explorer at all then don't put a plow on it. You will ruin your suspension and transmission quickly, I recommend you buy a beater pickup truck.

Had this for about 5 years now. It is not a heavy unit and I can move it around by hand. Beats freezing my butt off.

IMG-20110202-00027-1.jpg

Back