Viscous Coupler replaced successfully | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Viscous Coupler replaced successfully

stylin99

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 5.0 Coyote Adrenalin
Finally got the ole Viscous Coupler replaced and thought I'd share a photo of what it looks like for those that were curious.

This was in our 03 Explorer AWD shop truck. When we bought it, the entire front diff was blown up and had to be replaced, but then we realized the VC was bad when we got the new front diff back in, and it had major binding after trying to make the first turn. VC was locked up.

So we called up STE and ordered a reman unit.
http://www.stecouplers.com/recharge/

Took a couple hours total to replace on a lift. Simply remove the rear driveshaft, and the transfer case rear cover, and everything just slides apart. I marked the VC in the photo so you can tell what you are replacing.

viscous1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to see. Looks like an easy replacement if it ever comes down to it. Mind I ask what it cost? Didn't see prices on the site.

Thanks for posting the pic, nice to know it can be done in the truck. What other seals/gaskets did you replace (if any)? Mine is acting up and this is one my list of things to get to.

It was about $300 shipped just for the coupler, and it requires you send back your old one as a core. No other gaskets. Just some gasket sealer on the rear cover to seal it back up, change the fluid, and you're ready to go.

That's not a bad price compared to replacing the whole transfer case. Plus it looks easier to just change the VC than removing the whole thing.

transfer case

Is there a good way to determine if its the vc? I have no codes. I only have 2 months and 1000 miles experience with it.
Mine binds terribly on turns, forward or reverse, but little when driving inline, I changed the fluid, which wasn't terribly dirty or fill of metal debris.
I was going to let it go and do the t-case swap when funds allowed.

Maybe it's the traction loc in the rear end. I'm having that issue myself. I changed the rear fluid and added friction modifier. Now it's a matter of time to see if it helps.

Hello,the binding is in the front, only on turns, i replaced the rear fluids with the friction modifier. stinky stuff. its just like when you have a real 4wd vehicle and the tires grab and jump. its more of the noise like a gears are grinding against each other. all fluids are up to snuff. I'm at 161K. does anyone have a good schematic for all the sensors and/or switches for the awd system? P.s I got to drive a 2013 roush stage 3. slick.....

The AWD system has no sensors or switches and it sounds like yours is having problems.

Is there a good way to determine if its the vc? I have no codes. I only have 2 months and 1000 miles experience with it.
Mine binds terribly on turns, forward or reverse, but little when driving inline, I changed the fluid, which wasn't terribly dirty or fill of metal debris.
I was going to let it go and do the t-case swap when funds allowed.

Sounds like the VC.

If it's grabbing it's probably the coupler.

How do I know which t-case I have? Any ideas
02 mountaineer 4.6 awd , changed upper a arms and cv's on the front but from what I'm reading it's the vc
Thanks

02 mountaineer viscous coupler

I'm experiencing the binding and grappling during turns both forward and backwards, did you ever replaced your viscous coupler or what was your solution to this problem?

I'm experiencing the binding and grappling during turns both forward and backwards, did you ever replaced your viscous coupler or what was your solution to this problem?

Viscous Coupler

will a bad vc cause the check transmission light to come on?

Hello everyone I just wanted everyone to know that the binding in my 02 Mountaineer was due to the viscous coupling. I just changed mine this past Saturday (11/28/15) and there is no more binding.
Unfortunately, my o/d light is now flashing and check transmission message has appeared. Could this be my torque converter? If so, how do I replace it?

Finally got the ole Viscous Coupler replaced and thought I'd share a photo of what it looks like for those that were curious.

This was in our 03 Explorer AWD shop truck. When we bought it, the entire front diff was blown up and had to be replaced, but then we realized the VC was bad when we got the new front diff back in, and it had major binding after trying to make the first turn. VC was locked up.

So we called up STE and ordered a reman unit.
http://www.stecouplers.com/recharge/

Took a couple hours total to replace on a lift. Simply remove the rear driveshaft, and the transfer case rear cover, and everything just slides apart. I marked the VC in the photo so you can tell what you are replacing.

viscous1.jpg

I followed your lead and replaced the viscous coupler with the TC still mounted. In the Mountaineer, a crossmember prevents removal of the back cover completely but I was able to slide it back far enough to swap out the coupler.

Hello,the binding is in the front, only on turns, i replaced the rear fluids with the friction modifier. stinky stuff. its just like when you have a real 4wd vehicle and the tires grab and jump. its more of the noise like a gears are grinding against each other.

That is a description of a bad viscous coupler.

Here is a video from Vortex Garage for replacing a viscous coupler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2clBpsT75w

Back