How are fender flares removed from my 2002 XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How are fender flares removed from my 2002 XLS?

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I looked at my fender flares on my 2002 Explorer XLS. Looks like maybe they pop off by somehow removing some round plastic rivets (my term).

Anyone know if they come off?

Brian in Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lift up and away. you may break some of the plastic clips that are attached to the body.

are they pushed out from behind?

I looked at my fender flares on my 2002 Explorer XLS. Looks like maybe they pop off by somehow removing some round plastic rivets (my term).

Anyone know if they come off?

Brian in Austin

Pull out the plastic push pins along the underside of the molding. Remove the fenderwell liner, small plastic screws on the underside-inside of the molding should be enough to slip your hands behind. Feel for the plastic tabs along the backside of the molding, squeeze and push out. There are also two plastic push pins on the very bottom of the molding by the door.

I'm going by memory but I'm almost positive that's all you need.

Of course its easier to pull up and away on the molding, but you'll certainly break some. Look on the back and you'll see why - they don't all pull in one common direction.

-Dubya

I'm second guessing my answer - I'm talking about the driver and passenger front fender molding - I hope that's what your looking for!

I'm second guessing my answer - I'm talking about the driver and passenger front fender molding - I hope that's what your looking for!

No, I'm talking about the wheel opening moldings.

Brian

For the rear then?

For the rear then?

Sounded like you were talking about something other than the fender flares or wheel opening moldings.

I want to remove all four of the plastic wheel opening moldings/fender flares.

Here you go:

Fenders.jpg

FrontDoor.jpg

RearDoor.jpg

RearQuarterPanel.jpg

Here you go:

Where are those diagrams from? I'm almost positive my service manual doesn't have those details. I'd love to know.

From my shop manuals in the Body & Paint section.

Back