• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Help

biggon71

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I am pretty much clueless when it comes to exhaust so I need some help.

I want my mounty louder and some performance would be nice, so I want to know what is the cheapest exhaust setup that I could use, and how much would it cost a muffler shop to install.

Thanks guys,
Biggon71

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you get what you pay for, but if you want cheap check out your local parts store and see what they have. Also if you call up you local exhaust shop they can tell you the cost to install the exhaust and they can even sell you knock off flowmasters. A old coworker went that route with his 91 F-150 with a 5.0 and it sounded pretty awesome.

Check out the Dynomax Super Turbo. Lots of guys run them on their 4.0s. Are you 4.0 or 5.0?

I would argue that statement about the dynomax, but after hearing it on a trade in I accepted the fact someone must of swapped mufflers from box to box, cause I'm basically straight pipe to "that" muffler and it sounds stock lol.

I'm 5.0, I read that many people delete their secondary cats. Should I as well? Will this trigger any check engine lights?

also, what size inlet/outlet. single or duel Inlet/outlet. what overall length should I look for?

It should not. but i could be wrong been a while since i was under my dads mountaineer... Over all length shouldn't matter all that much cause the exhaust shop will redo some piping, I'd also do the piping at least 2.5 in from muffler outlet back. get a dual inlet and as far as the outlet goes thats up to you weather you want dual or single exit exhaust. IMO i would match your stock piping for the inlet and do 2.5 out. Plus if I'm not mistaken your stock setup is dual in single out.

Interesting about the super turbo. I may start looking at something else then.
For a V8 I'd say go with something a little on the louder side but its all personal taste. There is a 5.0 exhaust clip thread and tons of info. Also you can change a lot by changing mufflers and deleting the 3rd cat without doing a whole exhaust overhaul and spending tons of money.

+1 for the dynomax. I really like the ultra flow's though. They sound great. Flow even better and wont hurt the wallet to bad. I have installed them in 4 vehicles now. All sounded great!

I would argue that statement about the dynomax, but after hearing it on a trade in I accepted the fact someone must of swapped mufflers from box to box, cause I'm basically straight pipe to "that" muffler and it sounds stock lol.
Very difficult to get a low note from the 4.0 SOHC. After "auditioning" several mufflers including Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla, I decided on the Dynomax SuperTurbo. It was the quietest although it had the lowest tone. With the resonator removed offered the best sound for me. I've yet to hear ANY V6 that sounded remotely close to a V8, regardless of displacement, it's all about harmonics.

Another +1 on the SuperTurbo. Like I was told many, many times when choosing mine, you will NEVER get a V6 to sound as good as a V8. If you want good quality sound, go SuperTurbo. If you just wanna be loud and don't care about anything else, anything else will work. When I was looking for a muffler/exhaust, I promised myself that I would rather keep a stock system than one that just sounds loud and like crap. I can't tell you how many times I've heard nice trucks go by, lifted and non, that sound like crap when they go by mostly because their owner probably wanted something loud and different, without really playing to their engine. Whole truck is ruined IMO.

But your sig line says 5.0 so you have waaaay better options than us 4.0 guys have then. The SuperTurbo is recommended for the 4.0 engines. Much easier to find a good exhaust for a .

I like the idea of duel in/ single out, but it seems like less mufflers give me this option. I also would like to delete cats, if it would increase performance

But your sig line says 5.0 so you have waaaay better options than us 4.0 guys have then. The SuperTurbo is recommended for the 4.0 engines. Much easier to find a good exhaust for a 5.0
Thanks for clarifying, I missed that in his signature. :thumbsup:

BTW, almost anything sounds good with the 5.0, just depends on the loudness you want.

I want it just a little louder. I dont want it so loud that it would desturb my neighbors, but loud enough for people to know that its not stock

Very difficult to get a low note from the 4.0 SOHC. After "auditioning" several mufflers including Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla, I decided on the Dynomax SuperTurbo. It was the quietest although it had the lowest tone. With the resonator removed offered the best sound for me. I've yet to hear ANY V6 that sounded remotely close to a V8, regardless of displacement, it's all about harmonics.

This i know i was stating that a trade in just like mine was louder and it had dynomax muffler on it i asked the guy trading it in what muffler it was he said it was a Super Turbo. So thats why i think someone switched mufflers around prior to me buying mine. cause mine looked different then his as well. just a typed out thought. but your statement is very much true.

I want it just a little louder. I dont want it so loud that it would desturb my neighbors, but loud enough for people to know that its not stock

remove the secondary cat then redo everything from there back. use mufflers like magnalfow http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplayproducts_universal.asp

flowmaster 50 series or 70's series
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?...y=Street+Mufflers&subcategory2=&subcategory3=

thrush

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/pdf/thrush.pdf

gibson

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=0&catalogId=10002&N=1578903+4294957228&Nty=0

My sohc sounded like a v8 with a cat back from a muffler shop with the flowpro and 2.5 duals but my 5.0 sounds awesome with the magnaflow direct fit cats dual in /out magnaflow muffler and a set of modded magnaflow ranger tailpipes and 3 in. tips all the pipe front to back is 2.5 in. I dont have headers yet but its as close to a mustang sound as i have ever heard. But it was a little pricey just over a grand with ball flanges and hangers and I put it in myself with my friend doing the tig welding.

For an SOHC put a big fat tip on it and a turbo muffler. You won't gain much if any performance no matter what you do with your catback, but that will give you a deeper sound and some noise.

Edit: For a 5.0. Since you have a real engine. Put a flowmaster behind it. Flowmasters were pretty much designed for the small block ford and chevy motors, and they are pretty much the only things they sound good on.

two inlets... two outlets :D
new12018.jpg

2 inlets 1 outlet lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe for your 6 banger ;)
lol im playing, i just wanted duals for the look, the growl and less back pressure came as a bonus :D
i think i paid like 475 but i gave him a 25 tip cause he was pretty quick n did an awesome job
IMG_0547.jpg

Back