About to buy a 2013 Sport Explorer and these forums scare me! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to buy a 2013 Sport Explorer and these forums scare me!

Every day lately my Sport's MFT has a new quirk..today it was not wanting to hang up calls and freezing up when coming back on after restarting when I used my Ipod before I turned it off....
but still not bad
oh and this morning it told me the nav was not functioning and i should bring it in for service.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We use it with iphones and while I wish I could speak my texts into it through MFT, I realize that is an issue with the Apple.

....The other thing you need to keep in mind is that while those of us who are using MFT share the Ford system in common, what are uncommon can be the phones attached including their operating systems and firmware, how the phone is interfaced (USB or Bluetooth), other peripherals such as ipods, USB keys (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, how is music organized on the key) other mp3 players etc.... With so many different people doing different things, you will have different experiences.

....I love the small screen to he right of the speedometer that allows me to control MFT from the steering wheel....I change my entertainment, I control the HVAC, it allows me to see my navigation directions. ...Frankly for most of the changes, I don't need to touch the screen at but rather speak the commands or use the buttons for a temperature change below the touchscreen.

....I stream my music through the USB as it also keeps my phone charged. I did have an "issue" streaming my music via Bluetooth while the phone was plugged in to USB port....which made perfect sense as the system was competing to control the phone...if I use USB or Bluetooth exclusively for music, it was worked fine. The in car wifi works great, it allows our kids to link their electronics (kindles, ipod touches, ipads etc) without any issues to this date.

Everything listed here is what we've come to find out, as well with our "werxplorer". We all work with it. If I want to charge my phone, I use my "car charger", not the usb. For music, I use my ipod nano, via usb. It usually works fine.

Steering mounted controls are a definite big help. From what I've heard, touching the "touchscreen" a bunch of times helps to cause conflicts - not sure why (I usually stay away from the touch "screen" and stick with the "touchpad" button-like items like "A/C", "Dual", "Auto", etc). Maybe flash lite or software for the "touch" portion is conflicting with flash lite or something, I forget exactly. I know flash lite is buggy and unstable. But, renting ford vehicles in other states, like focuses and fusions, I've noticed vehicles w/o the "touchscreen", but everything else mostly work well. Even Explorers, fusions and focuses without "Myford Touch" still have "Myford".

So far, my opinion of our Explorer XLT work vehicle...... The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hey Guys,

I was about to pull the trigger on a new 2013 Sport Explorer and was doing some searches on headrest DVD systems and found this forum. Now I'm a little leary about making the purchase!

I've heard that the electronics can be difficult to learn, etc. I didn't have a problem with the panel or the NAV system. I can find areas of improvement but it was nice and useable. I think I recall seeing the reliability index was rated at 3 stars out of 5, or average. It's #15 on USNews. The Durango is #10 and was my other option.

Reading this forum I'm seeing all sorts of issues with this car. I'm a little spooked since I'm coming from a Acura MDX which reliability has been superb. I'm upgrading from the '07 MDX to the Ford for the third row seating and available room behind the 3rd row.

I really like the looks of the EX and I thought the drive in the Sport and the Limited V6 was good. Are these issues due to Ford selling more than anyone else? Problem car owners find forums for help and the happy ones don't?

What do you guys think? I would rather be worrying about the DVD entertainment system than all that I'm reading here!

Thanks.

Dave

I think you'd have a good experience with the Explorer. I have a 2011 with more issues that I can think of but I know others who have had no issues at all. I know a friend who owns an Explorer Sport and that car is sick! Very reliable he said. If you're not going to pull 0 - 60 runs as fast as you can all the time and as long as you don't floor it all the time, and maintain it, I think this Explorer will be reliable in the long run. Although, with all turbos, they do go bad after 100,000 miles or so. Although, I know many people driving F-150's with 200,000 miles on their Ecoboosts. So it's your pick really. Sport is really nice. I'd pick that one myself if I knew it was coming out.

Every day lately my Sport's MFT has a new quirk..today it was not wanting to hang up calls and freezing up when coming back on after restarting when I used my Ipod before I turned it off....
but still not bad
oh and this morning it told me the nav was not functioning and i should bring it in for service.....

I too have that "fail to hang up" issue right now. A Master Reset clears it for a few days then its back. Only noticed it after v3.5.1.

The other phone issue is the phone rings but MFT doesnt display any GUI to answer the call so you have to grab your phone or not answer.

Update:

I've toiled over the decision to go with the Explorer or a comparable. I've looked for 3 weeks, driven every other model imaginable, and have approval from the "finance department" in my household to go with anything that I want. Anything. That means from a Dodge to top of the line Escalade.

I keep coming back to the Explorer Sport. I have to admit the problems I see here in these forums do make me worry but I love the drive, the look, and the room, in the back. The only other thing I don't like is no factory DVD option but I can get that taken care of myself.

I'll talk myself into it, and then read forums at night and talk myself out of it! Finally, facing facts, I want the EX. Called my dealer who had one located about 200 miles away and told him to go get it. I have no commitment to it if I don't like it when it arrives. There are a few things I would check after reading here. Leaks, dash alignment, NAV. I told dealer I wanted to drive it with the SD card in it. I planned on creating a route to the airport and seeing how it performed. I'm coming from a MDX which routes quickly and re-routes quickly. I'm hoping it will perform closely.

Ruby Red Sport, LOADED with every option. I'm ready, get it here! Ring Ring. Sorry, that model was dealer traded an hour ago. Dang.

Currently looking for a comparable model. I'm wondering now if that was the sign. Accounting department, (wife), didn't want the Ford!

I'll try to check back in with end results.

I have an 11 Ltd and a 13 Sport. The Ltd had problems, however they were all remedied. I absolutely love the Sport. Night and day in power for obvious reasons. I love the Ltd. But it now plays second fiddle to the Sport.

I too have that "fail to hang up" issue right now. A Master Reset clears it for a few days then its back. Only noticed it after v3.5.1.

The other phone issue is the phone rings but MFT doesnt display any GUI to answer the call so you have to grab your phone or not answer.
sounds like we have the same exact thing going on

Update:

I've toiled over the decision to go with the Explorer or a comparable. I've looked for 3 weeks, driven every other model imaginable, and have approval from the "finance department" in my household to go with anything that I want. Anything. That means from a Dodge to top of the line Escalade.

I keep coming back to the Explorer Sport. I have to admit the problems I see here in these forums do make me worry but I love the drive, the look, and the room, in the back. The only other thing I don't like is no factory DVD option but I can get that taken care of myself.

I'll talk myself into it, and then read forums at night and talk myself out of it! Finally, facing facts, I want the EX. Called my dealer who had one located about 200 miles away and told him to go get it. I have no commitment to it if I don't like it when it arrives. There are a few things I would check after reading here. Leaks, dash alignment, NAV. I told dealer I wanted to drive it with the SD card in it. I planned on creating a route to the airport and seeing how it performed. I'm coming from a MDX which routes quickly and re-routes quickly. I'm hoping it will perform closely.

Ruby Red Sport, LOADED with every option. I'm ready, get it here! Ring Ring. Sorry, that model was dealer traded an hour ago. Dang.

Currently looking for a comparable model. I'm wondering now if that was the sign. Accounting department, (wife), didn't want the Ford!

I'll try to check back in with end results.

Wait 4 months for the 2014

...Currently looking for a comparable model. I'm wondering now if that was the sign...

Hi Checkit20,

How's the search going? I want to recommend the services of my colleagues at the Marketing Program Headquarters. They can locate your perfect Explorer and let you know about current incentives. The best part? They're only a phone call away: 1-800-334-4375. If you're on Twitter, you can get the same service from our verified Twitter account @FordService.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Crystal

Hello,

I went to my local dealer yesterday to buy a sport, and he told me Ford is not taking any more orders for the Sport. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me what he had?

Hello,

I went to my local dealer yesterday to buy a sport, and he told me Ford is not taking any more orders for the Sport. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me what he had?

Ya no more orders on the 2013 Sport.....because orders now are for the 2014 Sport.

So you buy whats built now if you want a 2013 or order a 2014

After my experience with my 2012, I would look elsewhere. Has good looks, but just to many electronic and MFT problems to deal with. Many systems will drop out and return to working order, but you never know what the day will bring. From the navigation, BLIS, Sirius and Terrain Management, it is to much to contend with on a new truck. Searching the boards will give you an idea of the problems. My truck is not abused and at 1 1/2 years old has only 10,300 miles on it. I'm very disappointed in this truck. For those who rave about their purchase, more power to them ...... you guys are the lucky ones who do not have to deal with all these issues like some of us do.

Hello,

Welcome to the Forum Bouty.:wavey:
I must have missed your post initially. Not sure why your dealer wasn't taking orders for a Sport in February. Orders for the 2013 Explorers didn't close until April 13th. Your only option now, as Sgt1411 stated, is to buy what is on the dealer's lot or put in an order for the 2014. Production begins June 3rd but orders can be placed now.

Peter

Back