Thinking in buy an Explorer 2013 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking in buy an Explorer 2013

Chevelle454

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Volkswagen Golf Sport
Hello everyone,

I'm Alex from Spain. I'm glad to find this forum and meet you guys.
I'm thinking in import to Spain a Ford Explorer 2013 cause we don't have this model in Europe and I really love it but I'm worried about some things.
I was reading on internet a lot of people talking really bad about this car and saying they are a hell car with a lot of mechanical problems so I would like to know your thoughts.
I don't know yet which model I want cause at first time I was searching for a Limited or Sport, but now I'm thinking maybe in buy a XLT 4WD and change the original grill for the Sport Grill cause it's easier to find this model for a good price. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

PD. Sorry for my english, it's not so good as I wish....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Alex,

And welcome to the site..I am also a 'newbie' to the site so I hope I can help you out as much as the others more experienced folks on the site..

As for Mechanical issues I wouldnt worry about what you have read as there are none. I have had mine for 6 months and love it...no issues so far ...I have 16,000 kms on it now..the 3.5v6 and plaltform have been around for sometime and is proven. Same with the 6spd transmission.

As for fit and finish there are some areas that could be improved like the trim around the windows and leather that appears to wear out quickly, etc..but these are not issues, nor deal breakers. If I was paying 50-60s for the car then sure I would have issues with them but its not enough for me to not buy the car. Same with the MyFord Touch System - I did have some small issues with it before but I did the software upgrade to it and its been fine. I also think its very easy to use and the graphics are the best in market hands down.

In the end are having some small fit and finish issues enough to sway you to another brand ? NO ...its a great value buy from my perspective when compared to ther makes and models..as I found the Jeep Grand Cherokee overpriced, the GMC Acadia too big and lacking the tech front and the Japanese products overpriced....

Hope this helps

Can you get the car serviced near you with quality work and the recommended Ford Motorcraft parts?

I know the EU has an entire line of different Fords than what is available in the USA & even in the USA some parts can take weeks to get...

...plus the tax omg the tax...when you import a foriegn car - do you need to pay tax?

Thanks for your help! We have here a lot of Ford dealers with mechanical services but the problem is we don't have Ford Explorer in europe so I don't know what could happen if the car have problems in the future. I have a GMC Savana Van never sold in Europe too and I never had a problem. About the parts... I order a lot of times auto parts from USA and that's not a problem to ordered it, I receive it always in a week.
About the tax, sure I need to pay taxes but still paying the taxes I have a car for almost the half price. For example a I was looking for a new Grand Cherokee 2014 in Spain and USA. The price in USA of the model I was looking was around 42.000$, the same car in Spain is 88.000$. So the idea is to buy a 2013 Explorer cause I can get it for a 15 or 20% less value than a 2014 plus the change Dollar/Euro I can save 55% of the car.
Then 31% in taxes of the declared Value, always can put a lower value to pay less taxes.

I just remember I would like to ask you something. We just can import cars with emissions who conforms to California regulations. There's a sticker or tag in the engine with the "Vehicle emission control information" and I need the car with that info to homologate it. So I really don't know if all the Ford explorers in USA have this control or just in California...

Thanks

All usa cars have the california emission control standards.

hmm maybe we can start an import/export business...:D
How about used?
I bet we could get our hands on some 2011's for $88 big wuns!

Back