• Register Today It's free!

Popped the CEL cherry.

ChallengerDave

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
Yeah no fun. It came on a few weeks ago after I went wheeling and I haven't had much time at all to address it. I hooked up my reader to it and it came up as both banks showing a rich condition (P0172 and P0175). Now first thing I did was to make sure my MAF sensor didnt get dirty from the oil on my cold air intake. Didnt seem like it was dirty so I cleaned it anyway. Im not convinced that was it. My next step is to get some fuel pressure reading. I believe these are 55-60 PSI correct me if im wrong. Reason im posting to see if any of you ran into something like this. Maybe save me some time here since im already stupid busy to begin with. Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a quick search, tons of threads on this code with all the causes and easy fixes.

Do a quick search, tons of threads on this code with all the causes and easy fixes.

Have YOU searched for this? There are lots of posts but little/NO solutions. The only REAL solution I've seen is a reprogram of the Engine Management computer under a TSB.

My fix was fuel injector cleaner and sea foam through the intake. What ever it was fixed it. Im guessing I had leaking injectors.

Well, think I have it figured out. Put my laptop on it and the O2 sensor are in SAD shape. 1 front one is not moving at all, the other if very sporadic as is the rear. Wonder if I got some bad gas and contaminated them.

It was the forward O2's causing the P0172/P0175 codes. Ran/scanned it several times after I swapped the sensors and all is happy.

Don't forget to disconnect battery for several minutes to reset Long Term Fuel Trim numbers.

How difficult is it to change O2 sensors myself? I'm told that I'll need a torch to heat them up to remove - is this true?
I've got the '05 Sport Trac 4x4 with 130k miles

How difficult is it to change O2 sensors myself? I'm told that I'll need a torch to heat them up to remove - is this true?
I've got the '05 Sport Trac 4x4 with 130k miles

No torch, you'll have to jack it up and take the wheel off on the passenger side to get to it. Fairly easy.

Back