HELP FELLAS! im running lean!

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey fells, got my CEL read and got 171 and 174. 171=running lean (bank 1), and 174=running lean (bank 2).

with that being said, whats my best course of action in finding the root cause? if bank 1 AND bank 2 are both reading lean, what do you think is causing it and where/how should i start to look? im pretty sure it isnt the MAF because that thing gets cleaned regularly and treated like a baby, and i dont think its the plugs or wires because wouldnt i then be running rich?

any help on where to start, or if anyone has had the same experience, please chime in. thanks fellas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btw - i am guessing that im still on my original fuel filter so im changing that today right off the bat. thanks again fellas, i know the explorer jedis will show me the way

thanks fellas! that was exactly my problem.
WP_000630.jpg

you can see the little crack in the middle of the elbow in this pic. one question, one end of this little elbow is easy to take off, but the end toward the top of my picture wont seem to come undone. is there a clamp or somethign that im missing? thanks again fellas!

Lono- Check the second pic on Steve M's (ncranchero) link.
Both ends of the KCV-190 replacement show hose clamps.
IIRC, I used a long needle nose plier to open and release it. GL

P.S.- Don't be surprised if the bottom of the PCV elbow looks much worse.

thanks for the tip. i was in the autozone parking lot when i was trying to take it off, once i get a chance im going to throw it in my garage and unser a light so i can get a better look at it.

Sorry, I just looked at it. It's NOT clamped on inboard side of the PCV elbow.
Remember mine being stubborn, and slicing it at the fitting lengthwise to remove.

I was thinking that. When I'm removing a part and it's being replaced, whatever it takes to make removal easier is usually the route I go.

Back