• Register Today It's free!

Another tire question

Dwhit7ew

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer xls
Hey all, I have a 2004 xls with a 4.0. I know these questions have been beat to death but I am about to get new tires. I have the stock 235/70/16. I want bigger. Even though it does very well on the beach I got stuck last time. I assume the low clearance was issue bc the sand wasn't even soft sugary sand. I want to put as big as I can go stock. I've scoured the forum and have seen that 265/75/16 are popular and have no rubbing. However when I called the tire shop to check availability, they seemed very hesitant. So just to know I'm safe, how confident are we about that size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I don't run 265 at stock height, it's a well-established fact here that those are perfect for stock heighted trucks.

I would buy confidently.

-Dubya

Get bfgoodrich all terrains! Love those tires!

265/65/17 on my 04. No rub at all. They look much better with bigger tires!

265/75/16 is the way to go, and air down to about 15 to 18psi on the beach and you should be good.

Definately stay with the AT'S these guys have told all the good stuff already

I HIGHLY recommend the BFGoodrich A/Ts. Just make sure you rotate them!

I HIGHLY recommend the BFGoodrich A/Ts. Just make sure you rotate them!

That is what I have on my 05. 265/75/16. I had a heck of time finding anyone to install so I ordered a wheel/tire package from 4 wheel parts, and took care of being told they would not fit. Fit perfect!! I have SLIGHT rubbing when I have it turned all the way but it isnt anything a dremel would not fix :) and yes! rotate them regularly!

Very highly recommend Terramax's! I run 235/85/16 (roughly 32'') Been on the sand, mud pits, and rough trails. Never had a problem with these tires! But, as said earlier def air down your tires when you're in sand. Lets the tire cover more space making the weight of the truck spread out because everyone here knows, x's are just big ol' fat girls :D

Back