New Oregonian

Galactica

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer ST
Hello all,
Just bought another Ford in a long line of Fords that we've had over the years. Got my wife an 03 Sport Trac XLT Premium in True Blue Metallic. Has 112K on it, but it's in pretty nice shape. We had the dealership do a bunch of little things to make it right and make the deal work. The driver door lock wasn't working properly, the driver's side heated seat didn't work, the front brakes were pulsing pretty bad, and the back bumper was slightly bent from the lady before us towing something with a ball on the bumper....They fixed all of these things and straightened the bumper and added a Class III receiver and 4-pin. Now she is about 95% perfect. The only other things left are a couple dash bulbs that need replacing, the power mirror switch isn't all working, and the Pioneer 6 disc decided to crap out last week...lol. It's otherwise been taken care of very well. The trans is shifting correctly in all gears and the engine is quiet, smooth, and powerful. I was very happy to find that she is running the 4.10 LS axles from the factory. Anyway, here she is. Looking forward to many years out of her and looking forward to being a solid contributing member to this site!

~Dorian

sporttrac_zps7dd65a68.jpg

On a side note: I also posted this in the New Member section, but I figured it was appropriate to post specifically here as well. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, I bought my 01 in 03 and have loved it through the years, I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

welcome to the trac family

Welcome. I really like the blue! It's nice that it matches all the Ford emblems on the front,rear,and center wheel caps. Also, IMO the blue goes well with the gray cladding. Just like my 03 XLT Aspen green one does. (A lot of folks paint the cladding black. Which looks really good on other colors)
112k I would consider pretty low. I have 160k. You will get many years for sure.
I also have an xlt. But I have 4.10 Conventional. Now I know one of the differences between premium and just xlt. Thanks. See you've contributed already:thumbsup: (maybe because 4WD?)

p.s. some maintenance items to consider at that mileage.
Ford scheduled maintenance
-Spark plugs
-All new coolant
-PCV valve (also check the rubber elbow pcv hose end(near the thermostat) for cracks)

My suggestions
-Flush brake fluid(+check brakes)
-Tranny pan drop and filter
-check front end suspension(ball joints,etc..)
-air filter
-fuel filter
-differential gear oil (+transfer case 4x4)

I'm sure a lot of was checked by the dealer(Ford?). But, sometimes they just check everything off without actually looking. Just saying
Seems like a lot after you just spent money purchasing. But, you want it to last and your Wife be safe. All can be DIY. Lots of folks on here to help. Unless of-coarse you already know all of this:)

Welcome, I bought my 01 in 03 and have loved it through the years, I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Thanks. We're sort of thinking along the same lines. It's a really neat rig.

Welcome. I really like the blue! It's nice that it matches all the Ford emblems on the front,rear,and center wheel caps. Also, IMO the blue goes well with the gray cladding. Just like my 03 XLT Aspen green one does. (A lot of folks paint the cladding black. Which looks really good on other colors)
112k I would consider pretty low. I have 160k. You will get many years for sure.
I also have an xlt. But I have 4.10 Conventional. Now I know one of the differences between premium and just xlt. Thanks. See you've contributed already:thumbsup: (maybe because 4WD?)

We like the blue too. So far from al the Sport Tracs we looked at, it has been our favoarite color. From what I have read, 112K is definitely low. We average around 10-11K a year on my wife's primary rig, so it should last quite a while. I wasn't sure what was option and what was standard between the models, but I suppose it stands to reason that the Premiums would get the 4.10LS, but I would think that would be part of a heavy-duty towing package and one without would get the 3.73LS standard. No idea though. It is loaded to the max though. Has the two-tone leather seats and a moonroof, plus the auto-headlight switch on the mirror. The temp/compass gauge on the overhead console is a little quirky though. Sometimes you fire up the rig, and the screen will be dark, then you rap on it and the screen comes back. Loose connection maybe?

p.s. some maintenance items to consider at that mileage.
Ford scheduled maintenance
-Spark plugs
-All new coolant
-PCV valve (also check the rubber elbow pcv hose end(near the thermostat) for cracks)

My suggestions
-Flush brake fluid(+check brakes)
-Tranny pan drop and filter
-check front end suspension(ball joints,etc..)
-air filter
-fuel filter
-differential gear oil (+transfer case 4x4)

I'm sure a lot of was checked by the dealer(Ford?). But, sometimes they just check everything off without actually looking. Just saying
Seems like a lot after you just spent money purchasing. But, you want it to last and your Wife be safe. All can be DIY. Lots of folks on here to help. Unless of-coarse you already know all of this:)

I was definitely going to go through the diffs and T-case. Need to look at the book for brands and weights to use. Any recommendations? I always ran Redline in my BW1356 and Sterling 10.25 and D60 on my old 91 F350. Had AMSOil in the E4OD. The tranny pan is bone-dry, but I have no idea if that filter was ever changed. The fluid is a perfect mild red color though. The radiator fluid is also a nice green color. Should I just test it's temp range and call it good if it looks like that, or change it anyway? I had no clue about the PCV valve. Been doing some reading here, but haven't seen that one yet. I will check it this evening. Anyone have trouble running a K&N panel filter? I once had a Maxima, and you could not run those because the oil on the filter got into the MAF Sensor and gummed it up really quickly.

I ran one in my 01 for a long time and had no problems with it, my son replaced it with a regular filter and threw it away but that was after about 40,000 miles.

We like the blue too. So far from al the Sport Tracs we looked at, it has been our favoarite color. From what I have read, 112K is definitely low. We average around 10-11K a year on my wife's primary rig, so it should last quite a while. I wasn't sure what was option and what was standard between the models, but I suppose it stands to reason that the Premiums would get the 4.10LS, but I would think that would be part of a heavy-duty towing package and one without would get the 3.73LS standard. No idea though. It is loaded to the max though. Has the two-tone leather seats and a moonroof, plus the auto-headlight switch on the mirror. The temp/compass gauge on the overhead console is a little quirky though. Sometimes you fire up the rig, and the screen will be dark, then you rap on it and the screen comes back. Loose connection maybe?

you can always look up the VIN online, i looked mine up i have an 05 xlt mine has basically all the stuff yours has, plus paint matching bumper and running boards, step bars, but i don't have the towing package or L/S, i guess every trac is unique lol.

Welcome to the site bud. What parts of Oregon are you from? I'm originally from out there, Hermiston, Stanfield, Pendleton area. Wish I was still out there.

I don't have an overhead console. No help there.
I would do the coolant. The color can't tell you if the inhibitor package is depleted. Check the range anyway.
I use Mobil 1 syn.(75w-90) in the rear diff (I'm RWD) I'm sure any is good. As long as it's correct. ST's rears use either 80w-90 or 75w-140 synthetic plus a x# of ounces of a friction modifier. Check the axle codes on the door jam sticker and do a search. The front is 80w-90. Hope that helps a little.
I use a drop in K&N air filter. Yes, it can get oil on the MAF sensor if you over oil it. I usually clean the MAF with MAF spray shortly after re-oiling and disconnect the battery so the computer can re-learn. Kind-of a pain to be honest.
PCV elbow- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670 I didnt have any codes. But mine was cracked and collapsed.
PCV valve-(rec. at 100K) check over on mysporttrac.com in the project section. Another great site!
Any questions you may have along the way, try the "search this forum" button in the upper right hand side of this(01-05) forum or just start a new thread. Also throw up some pics in the "show off your sport trac!" thread. That way we can see how she used to look after you get hooked on modding it:) With the Wifes permission of-coarse:) This forum will get ya pumped up sometimes

I did a write-up on how to fix the overhead console, do a quick search for overhead console and it'll pop up. It's a easy fix.

Welcome to the site bud. What parts of Oregon are you from? I'm originally from out there, Hermiston, Stanfield, Pendleton area. Wish I was still out there.

Grew up outside North Plains on Dixie Mountain, west of Portland. I still live in the Portland area, but if I had the choice, I'd move to Central Oregon to the Bend/Redmond area. Love it there.

I don't have an overhead console. No help there.
I would do the coolant. The color can't tell you if the inhibitor package is depleted. Check the range anyway.
I use Mobil 1 syn.(75w-90) in the rear diff (I'm RWD) I'm sure any is good. As long as it's correct. ST's rears use either 80w-90 or 75w-140 synthetic plus a x# of ounces of a friction modifier. Check the axle codes on the door jam sticker and do a search. The front is 80w-90. Hope that helps a little.
I use a drop in K&N air filter. Yes, it can get oil on the MAF sensor if you over oil it. I usually clean the MAF with MAF spray shortly after re-oiling and disconnect the battery so the computer can re-learn. Kind-of a pain to be honest.
PCV elbow- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670 I didnt have any codes. But mine was cracked and collapsed.
PCV valve-(rec. at 100K) check over on mysporttrac.com in the project section. Another great site!
Any questions you may have along the way, try the "search this forum" button in the upper right hand side of this(01-05) forum or just start a new thread. Also throw up some pics in the "show off your sport trac!" thread. That way we can see how she used to look after you get hooked on modding it:) With the Wifes permission of-coarse:) This forum will get ya pumped up sometimes

Hey thanks for all that! Definitely good info there. I expect I'll have to have some sort of friction modifier in the rear because I do have the 4.10LS axle. I have my doubts it has ever been changed. Same with the front end and the T-case. Unless it's owned by an enthusiast, those things seem to get forgotten about...
I'll be looking at that PCV valve and the elbow ASAP. Even if they look good, I'll probably just replace them for posterity.
I do have my doubts that I will be modifying this ST very much as it will primarily be my wife's daily. It does seem to lean and bounce more than I would like though, so I expect she is in need also of some new shocks. I had read that people were having excellent luck with Monroe Sensatrac shocks on these rigs, so I may get those changed out soon as well. The current tires will be fine for now, but when they wear out, I will more than likely be putting on a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KO's. Probably up-size a little to a 265/75-16. 285's might be too much without a mild lift (which would be awesome, but I doubt Niki will let me...lol)

On a side note, just the other night my father-in-law and I looked at an original owner 91 Mazda Navajo LX 4X4 in a really light silver with the A4LD, leather, moonroof, and 79K miles. He loved it. I spent over an hour trying to talk "Bud" down some, because he wanted almost 3500 for it. Ended up buying it for 3000. There was one thing that was concerning us. After it ran for a few minutes, we started seeing smoke from under the hood that turned out to be fresh oil that had leaked onto the manifolds and down the downpipes. Took a while to burn off and then it seemed to be great. I figure the VC gaskets are both toast, more than likely from having been driven 2000 miles in the last 3 years, but there was also fresh oil coating the bottom of the engine. We wiped it all down and took it for a lengthy drive and there was no more oil. Any ideas what would have caused this? It's otherwise the cleanest Navajo I've ever seen. Couple tears in the driver's seat vinyl portion and the lever to adjust that seat back is busted, but everything critical is working perfect. Even the 4WD goes in and out nicely. He even had the original window sticker for around 21 grand when it was new, plus original MINT Navajo floor mats, the vinyl cover for the moonroof and the carpeted cover to cover up the moonroof when it's on. I figure that might be one of the last sets of factory Navajo floor mats on this Earth..Lol!

Back