Any good in the snow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any good in the snow?

tursky4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
I was wondering how good these auto 4x4s are in the snow.. this is going to be my first winter with my ex.. its an 04 xlt with 17s.. i live in nw pa and i have a feeling this is going to be a bad winter this year.. also is the "auto 4x4" reliable or should i put it in 4x4 high when there is any snow on the roads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering how good these auto 4x4s are in the snow.. this is going to be my first winter with my ex.. its an 04 xlt with 17s.. i live in nw pa and i have a feeling this is going to be a bad winter this year.. also is the "auto 4x4" reliable or should i put it in 4x4 high when there is any snow on the roads?

Auto 4x4 is fine for most things but if you know you're going to be hitting some deep spots then you should throw it in 4 hi. Biggest thing you can do to help yourself is put on some good all terrain tires that are snow rated. General grabber, Goodyear duratrac, etc.

I have done just fine in central PA with my 2WD on 265 wide tires. 150lbs of play sand in the rear makes a great improvement, but the biggest thing is being comfortable driving in those conditions. These are very predictable and manageable, so that helps quite a bit.

im very confident but cautious in the winters here.. i traded an awd lexus sux for my ex and that thing was amazing in the snow.. hit the snow button on it and i really had to try to get the tires to spin.. im just trying to get a feel of everyone else's experience with the ex.. I know its pretty heavy was hoping it wasnt a sled in the snow haha

You're in PA, then I know you remember blizzard of 2008, i bought my Ex in the spring just before. PERFECT TIMING!!! I made $1600 pushing/pulling/towing side jobs with my Ex. I love her so much!!!

i had a 96 sport and it was fine in the snow. i have a 03 xls now and i put cooper at3's on it and it has been amazing in the snow and sand this summer. the new tires really helped from stock highway tires. when i am in the snow i generally just leave it in 4 high because it is more predictable. auto 4x4 is also fine its just what you prefer and experience you have driving in different conditions.

I agree with everyone else here I usually have it in 4 hi when driving around in snowy unplowed situations ie. whenever its about a foot of snow (not powder the heavy wet slushy stuff). If its any less than that I usually leave it in auto 4. This truck is super predictable in the snow . It pulls through corners even on a set of highway tread tires. I now have nitto terra grapplers have yet to see snow to try them. But you will enjoy the exp in the snow and it has just the right amount of flick to go out the night of the snowstorm and drive in circles for fun.

The explorer is very easy to handle in snow with a good set of tires, I have Cooper AT/3s on and it handed one of the biggest UP winters I have seen (225" last season) like a champ. The auto 4 wheel drive does the job fine but it gets annoying going in and out of 4 wheel, that's when I usually put it in 4 high. If you have the class 3 tow package then you will also benefit from the limited slip rear axle which gives the vehicle a lot of rear end push. It's fairly easy to swing the back end around even in 4 wheel drive, but its very easily controlled.

Back