oil sending unit location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil sending unit location

laubenthalw

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on the 98 Ford Explorer 5.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the side of the engine behind the wheel cover on the drivers side.

Driver side of engine block, close to the oil fiter adapter. You probably need to remove the oil filter to gain access - or even to see it.
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on the 98 Ford Explorer 5.0?

Thanks guys. I found and changed the sensor but still have no oil pressure indication. It works every once in a while. I wonder if I might have loose connection on the back of the gauge and how do I get to it?

it's more likely you have a bad connection at the sender, or a broken wire.

Are you experiencing any ticking or knocking? Hopefully you don't have the dreaded oil pressure problems that many have experienced.

Are you experiencing any ticking or knocking? Hopefully you don't have the dreaded oil pressure problems that many have experienced.

I'm interested in learning more about this. My 96 XLT4D V8 has about 250K miles, and the gauge stopped working normally a while back. Upon cold start up, it jumps up to relatively low position. If I park and shut off engine, then restart while still warm, the gauge will slow lower, and the red "check gauge" light comes on.

I'm interested in learning more about this. My 96 XLT4D V8 has about 250K miles, and the gauge stopped working normally a while back. Upon cold start up, it jumps up to relatively low position. If I park and shut off engine, then restart while still warm, the gauge will slow lower, and the red "check gauge" light comes on.

You could just have a bad sending unit. When mine went bad it was pretty obvious. There was oil around the wire connector, but dry everywhere else. I still pulled the sending unit and installed an oil pressure tester (am manual gauge works as well). My pressure was fine at idle and 2500 rpm, so in went the new sender and off I went. Ford uses a one wire "go, no go" gauge and sender. When the sensor malfunctions, the gauge shows erratic behavior. The light comes on when the gauge drops. However, sometimes it's not the sensor...it can be mechanical. Anything from low oil, to oil sludge, to worn or scorn bearings, to clogged pickup, to exsessive clearance in the oil pump, and so on. I suggest you put a manual gauge or pressure tester in place of the sensor to check your pressure. If you want to keep a manual gauge on it, use a T-fitting to run the factory sensor/gauge and the manual gauge simultaneously.

My 98 is experiencing a knocking lower side. My oil gauge currently isn't reading any pressure. Now, i'm not sure IF that's causing the knocking or not. But I guess my next move would be to replace the unit to see if I even have any oil pressure? Or?

My 98 is experiencing a knocking lower side. My oil gauge currently isn't reading any pressure. Now, i'm not sure IF that's causing the knocking or not. But I guess my next move would be to replace the unit to see if I even have any oil pressure? Or?

Your engine is probably done. I would try 5W50 oil, but it might be to late.
You can replace the dumb switch with a real oil pressure gauge if you really want to know your oil pressure.

Your engine is probably done. I would try 5W50 oil, but it might be to late.
You can replace the dumb switch with a real oil pressure gauge if you really want to know your oil pressure.
I have just changed it to 10w40. But, I was told it could be rod bearings. But either way it doesn't start till after my truck has warmed up. Dont know if that changes anything

This problem has been going on for a good while now. I don't have any knocking and I assume if the strainer was clogged I'd be experiencing some knocking. I have no engine noise at all. It's smooth as silk. I had a gauge problem in an old F-100 one time that ended up being in the flexible printed cicuit board behind the gauge cluster. I was just wondering how to access it on this 98 Explorer and if it's even the same kind of setup.

This problem has been going on for a good while now. I don't have any knocking and I assume if the strainer was clogged I'd be experiencing some knocking. I have no engine noise at all. It's smooth as silk. I had a gauge problem in an old F-100 one time that ended up being in the flexible printed cicuit board behind the gauge cluster. I was just wondering how to access it on this 98 Explorer and if it's even the same kind of setup.

It takes a little work to get to the gauge cluster, but it will be all for not, if you have no pressure. If you can get a manual gauge or an oil pressure tester in place of the factory sending unit, you'd be miles ahead of diagnosing your problem.

Back