Whining noise when starting on cold days. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise when starting on cold days.

I finally got around to changing the transmission filter and oil this weekend. The squealing transmission noise until warmed up, has seemed to have stopped! (At least for today)
Changing the transmission filter and oil is not difficult, but it is messy. I would recommend reading this thread first:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

I would also recommend getting a larger hose adaptor than the 1/4" diameter one that I have, it takes a lot of pressure on the oil suction gun ($15 Harbor Freight) to force the transmission oil through the small hole and tube.
Careful attention should be given at the end to measuring the tranny oil level with the motor warm and running. It is really easy to get the level way off if you measure it cold with the engine off - you could be 2-3 quarts low. I think that was also an issue with my explorer and may have contributed to the noise, the trans level was at least 2 quarts too low.
Cheers,
Martin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Careful attention should be given at the end to measuring the tranny oil level with the motor warm and running. It is really easy to get the level way off if you measure it cold with the engine off - you could be 2-3 quarts low. I think that was also an issue with my explorer and may have contributed to the noise, the trans level was at least 2 quarts too low.
Cheers,
Martin

This is just to add on refilling the tranny and checking the fluid level properly and what can happen if it is not filled to capacity or full.
A couple of months ago, I took my vehicle into a local tranny shop to have a tranny tune-up done, new filter installed and drain the tranny pan fluid (6-7 quarts of new fluid). I paid for the service ($150) with another guy who disappeared right after that. While the tech worked on my truck, I sat in the front lobby/office of the shop. I couldn't see him visually because of the coverings on the office windows, but I could hear him working on my vehicle with the vehicle lift going up and my engine off. Next I heard him taking the pan bolts out with an air ratchet. Then it was kind of quiet for a bit and then I heard the tech re-installing the pan bolts. Next I heard the lift coming down and he started my engine up and brought out my truck saying " you're all set" and he never took it for a test drive, which I thought was quite strange. Most tranny shops I have been in over my 3+ decades of driving always test drive the vehicle after service has been done to the tranny. I asked the tranny tech if he found any problems in my tranny or anything in the pan and he said "no", "everything looked great in there". So I took my vehicle up the street for a test drive to make sure everything is good, it wasn't! As soon as I started picking up speed on a bridge on ramp, the tranny slipped from 2nd shift into 3rd and I said "WTF"! I drove the vehicle down to the next off ramp and turned around and headed back to the shop, not happy but keeping my cool. The tech who worked on my vehicle was there by himself and I told him that the tranny slipped up the road from there. He looked surprised, sort of, then took my vehicle back into the shop and I went and sat in the office again, same place as before. I heard him raise the lift with my engine running this time (which he didn't do the first time, engine was off the first time as he worked on it), then I heard the tranny being shifted thru each gear (which opens that solenoid for each gear and allows more tranny fluid into the tranny/solenoids) and the engine revving up a bit. A short time later, he drove my vehicle out of the shop. A few minutes later, the tranny shop owner showed back up saying he just test drove my vehicle and everything seems fine now. He first tried telling me that when you drop the tranny pan, you only need to refill what you lose from the pan drop, not true! Fluid drains from the solenoids as well when the pan is dropped. They need to run the engine and shift the tranny thru the gears to fully fill the tranny. He said problems shouldn't arise just from the pan fluid swap. I told him the tranny ran fine prior to coming to his shop and he then admitted they had to add an extra 2 quarts or so of tranny fluid after I brought it back to them the 2nd time. The tranny has been working fine since.
This goes to show you that being 2 quarts or so low on tranny fluid can cause "slipping" and it also shows how or what to look out for if you take your vehicle into a tranny shop for this type of service or if you do it yourself. Make sure you/they refill your tranny with the engine running (up to operating temp) and someone shifting the tranny thru each gear to fully refill the tranny with fluid.
The $150 I paid for this service was well worth it for me, other than the under fill BS I had to deal with at the shop. I didn't have to lay on the cold ground, under my vehicle getting oily and dirty and the little money I would have saved doing it myself wasn't worth the hassle of running for the oil and filter parts and setting everything up.

Thanks very much for the follow up Martin, and thanks for adding to it also EX. I believe I'll go back to the dealer for a filter change (fluid already changed) and also make sure they go through the correct procedure to check fluid level. I'll also post results. Thanks very much men.

Thanks very much for the follow up Martin, and thanks for adding to it also EX. I believe I'll go back to the dealer for a filter change (fluid already changed) and also make sure they go through the correct procedure to check fluid level. I'll also post results. Thanks very much men.

No whining or squealing noises from the transmission today either. I'm calling it fixed.
On to the next issue, replacing the front struts.

Well, I guess I'm the bad news in the thread. Was hoping for Moto's result, but it is in getting a full rebuild right at this moment. I guess the good news is I did get 192K + miles on this '05. One more post coming up after I get it back... Thanks Yaall.

Well, I guess I'm the bad news in the thread. Was hoping for Moto's result, but it is in getting a full rebuild right at this moment. I guess the good news is I did get 192K + miles on this '05. One more post coming up after I get it back... Thanks Yaall.

What happened? Did they change the oil / filter and then the transmission went out?

What happened? Did they change the oil / filter and then the transmission went out?

Went back to the dealer to have the fluid level checked hot. They were not real cooperative. Told me it was full but the fluid (7k miles and 3 months since they "flushed" it) was burned. Left there, still driving okay but noisy, and stopped at Aamco where I had the filter replaced a few years back. They said the fluid wasn't really burned, but the torque convertor was "coming apart" (they had dropped the pan to try and change filter again for me). Picked it back up from them and drove it back to my work and parked it. Fortunately a couple buildings over is a guy that rebuilds right in his shop. He is very familiar with these transmission and gave me a pretty good price on an all inclusive rebuild. I decided to do it since the rest of the truck is in excellent condition (except for lousy roof and door paint, cracked rear panel, long ago busted shift indicator, a half dozen wheel bearing assys, etc. lol) and fully up to date on maintenance (ball joints, shocks, tires, cooling sys, etc.). Thanks for your interest Moto, I'll post back again after I get the truck back and drive it for a bit. :chug:

All good now. Kicking myself only for being slightly lazy in the process, and not changing the filter myself.
Picked up the truck Sat morning w/ the dear wife and she drove it home. Truck wasn't right at all. In defense of the shop, the indicator only worked for D, 3,2,and 1 for several years now. The problem was everything was way off, the shifts points were at 4000 rpms, shifter was way off w/ trans, etc.. I thought long and hard about returning the truck to have it corrected, but eventually decided the trans was prob good, and if it mistakenly got pulled to get fixed and opened, that it wouldn't be as good a rebuild as the first time/seal. When I was under the jacked up truck to adjust the linkage, I looked at the drain plug and pan - and that's when I kicked myself for not getting under there to begin with to do the filter and pan fluid! Oh well, Saturday aft and night I fixed the indicator, adjusted the linkage/cable to the right position, and it is back driving like a new truck. What an adventure! Rebuilt tranmission feels great! Also disconnected battery at the end of it all to reteach the shift points.
To try and return to OP subject and help future searchers... Try changing the filter and double checking the fluid level after. I honestly believe, had I got under there and done that, I may have gotten another 40-60 k on it. Oh well, now I'm looking for 150k more miles. Shootin for 325k or so to get my doggone money out of it! Still a very good comfortable DD at 195,000 miles. Thanks Moto and Exproblems both for your input and all else for the help. :chug:

Old thread, but just put a new p/s pump on mine for nothing. Trans whines like crazy. Bought the explorer in 08' with 50k miles, flushed at 70k miles, flushed again at 127k miles, it now has 152k miles. Shifts and drives great is the weird part. Been howling/whining for almost a year. It's going in next week for filter and another flush.

20EddieBauer02 how did you make out? My 2004 is doing the same thing.

125,000 miles, trans rebuilt twice at 70,000 and 74,000 miles, turns out it was the wire harness. The two times we drove it far, the next day the trans would slip after the third time I said it has to be something else, the wire harness was melted to the transmission.

just did mine. (After timing set service, this noise in cold starts was getting more annoying with the engine being so quiet.). Found clutch material in pan and filter, and fuzz on the magnet.

Completely quiet even on cold starts now. I lived with the cold metallic whine for quiet awhile -hope I didnt hurt anything. Had been doing regular drain and fills- surprised at the amount of crud still in the pan. Runs great now -keeping my eyes crossed.......

just did mine. (After timing set service, this noise in cold starts was getting more annoying with the engine being so quiet.). Found clutch material in pan and filter, and fuzz on the magnet.

Completely quiet even on cold starts now. I lived with the cold metallic whine for quiet awhile -hope I didnt hurt anything. Had been doing regular drain and fills- surprised at the amount of crud still in the pan. Runs great now -keeping my eyes crossed.......

* cold Steely (Dan) whine ;)

How many miles on yours Deacon Blue? We're still driving our 05 after the trans rebuild, up to 266k :chug:

She's got 198K, no other transmission service besides o-ringed servos and fluid changes. Runs smoother than when I got it 75K ago, so hopefully will still get some good life out it.

I have had the whining noise all winter and have tried to track it down. Have added transmission fluid, changed transfer case fluid, since that where the noise seemed to come from. As a last resort I decided I better change the transmission filter before taking it in for transmission repair. New filter did the trick. Messy, but this amateur repair guy managed to get it done and learn something new.

I keep putting it off, I have the filter and a new gasket, just need the trans fluid and to get motivated.

motivation for doing a transmission service is hard to come by. I have a 2005 Grand Marquis doing the same thing. I’m gonna remove the transmission line at the radiator pump out all of the fluid with it running, drop the pan (without a mess) replace the filter.

Here is the important part, torque the valve body bolts to factory specs. A lot of times it can be loose. These valve bodies have small channels that fluid travels through and at the end of some of the channels are these little rubber balls…if it’s not perfectly tight one particle gets in and logged I’m thinking maybe this could be why. It’s just a theory.

The flush machine with pressure seems like it could cause issues if the valve body was loose.

Torquing the valve body during service is not something Ford mentions doing during a service. I said mentions instead of recommends because they do not, not recommend its probably because it should be done I’m saying they don’t mention it. Hope i said the clearly. IMO it should be done or at least checked with a torque wrench, it wouldn’t hurt anything

I’m waiting for the motivation to do it this myself.

Back