Build Thread: 2000 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build Thread: 2000 Eddie Bauer

Waffleofdarkness

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger
So its not modified yet, but it will be :p I started with this, 2000 Eddie Bauer, 4.0 sohc auto, Its been sitting for a few years and the battery was dead. Interior was really nice. The rear hatch glass wouldnt latch properly and with a new battery in it she wouldnt start. All the lights came on, but the starter wouldnt even click. With confidence I could get it going I paid $500 for it.

1EBAACC9-EAFD-4078-A711-1654DC479770_zpsvb24ggb6.jpg

41D2B2F8-84AE-4742-B6E2-E463FDBDAFC7_zpsnwgvxljf.jpg

This was Thursday. Today (Saturday) I went back with a temporary permit and drive to get it started. I was goign to jump the solenoid terminals but they are in an awkward spot. I cranked the wheel right, and I smacked the solenoid with the lug wrench. And it started! I shut it down and tried again, And it still started! So I shut it down, and started moving all the crap so I could back it out of the sellers backyard (He was away for the weekend). It started after that. I let it run for a few minutes, and it sounded really nice. No funny noises, not even power steering pump! haha. After a few minutes of runtime I figured Id shut it down and move all the crap back to where it was. I called my dad to ask him if he would pick up my Ranger for me so I could drive the expo home. I went to start it and BAM, nothing. I smacked the starter repeatedly, still nothing.

3D171CCC-6A45-4C65-A47D-6924B4FB9B5F_zps2tffz5tt.jpg

So My dad and I pushed it back into the sellers backyard. I Guess I will come back next week with a new starter. I should have left it running, and driven it home haha. Oh well, Atleast I know it runs nicely :p

Plans are to ditch the air shocks for regular shocks, Lift it (my dad has beefy homemade shackles kicking around, made them for his old trooper) And throw the 32s from my ranger on it. Heres that btw, Quick list of major mods are manual hubs, Manual T case, and Manual tranny all swapped in amongst many other small things

041C1517-4552-4692-A382-256C85607162_zpszrfsn0hx.jpg

Cheers all :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice!! Swap in a 5.0 while your at it!!

Well the Ranger has officially sold, My aunt bought it to leave at her cabin for $800. I have a few weeks to get the Ex insured. Im starting to take my goodies off the Ranger as of tomorrow :p For the Ex, my dad went there today, he was going to take the starter apart and clean it and try to get it going. He got it out, as soon as he put pressure on the trigger wire terminal it broke. He bench tested it and the starter wouldnt do a damn thing, so Im going out there with a new one hopefully tomorrow. Once it starts Im putting a day permit on it, and I might even try to air care it :p

So monday I went out there with a new starter and got it going. The top bolt is a right pain in the ass to get at :p Then, having never really driven it before or even checked behind the wheels, it only made sense to put a 2 day permit on it and drive it 50 kms at 11pm :p It shudders a bit (Original thoughts were sticky park brake or dragging caliper) And if you hit a bump on the freeway, it gets a Violent shudder through the steering wheel that shakes the whole truck. Also sometimes happens around corners.

And today my Ranger and my Explorer got together to trade shoes. The explorer now has 32x11.5R15s on Level 2 Ranger Alcoas, and the ranger now has 255/70R16s on the stock explorer rims. The 32s will need just a bit of bumper trimming

82951E57-59C8-4ED5-8638-1E23DFBF49AD_zps0ia7bcrf.jpg

C565A6B4-69E3-4233-A958-61DA918F8E4D_zpsbkibjpwv.jpg

FD0B1C7D-D16C-4A55-A8A6-11BF56FAFD94_zpslr4vk0zk.jpg

958020AC-7A0C-4972-B3FC-9609E30611E0_zpso7gqpvxr.jpg

I got a chance to bring it in to work today as well and check things out. None of the calipers are dragging, and the brakes are still ok (60% on the front and 40% on the back) I forgot to check the park brake, but I did check the U joints and both on the rear shaft are shot, so that could be the shudder. I checked the tie rods and wheel bearings up front, no play in any of them. The steering rack is leaking, and it kinda feels like it has a bit of play. Im thinking it may be causing the violent shudder Im getting when I hit bumps. I might have to put a steering rack in it. But otherwise it drives nicely :p

There is a bit more rust than I thought. I did know about the big hole next to the gas door, but I missed the drivers rear door bottom, a bit on the bottom of the passenger fender, and the scale on the frame. It is from Nova Scotia, so its expected being so close to the ocean.

So technically its "Modified" Now :p

Nice ride for 500$, my son destroyed the 96 ex I left him have a few years ago. Sold it for 500$ as junk. :(

Im betting the vibration is from the steering rack.

Also, IIRC some lift should remedy the rub without trimming.

Nice ride for 500$, my son destroyed the 96 ex I left him have a few years ago. Sold it for 500$ as junk. :(

Thanks, its a bit rustier than I first thought, but its really nice overall. Im really suprised with how nice the interior is :p

Im betting the vibration is from the steering rack.

Also, IIRC some lift should remedy the rub without trimming.

Yea, I will probably crank up the T bars a bit tomorrow and see if it still needs a trim (Im ok with a bit of trimming, I am looking for a bush bumper of sorts)

Yea Im fairly sure its the rack, its leaking anyways. I have 3 weeks to get this thing on the road, and I am making minimum wage so for the meantime I think I will pull a low mileage one from a wreckers, $40 plus a $5 core. Then worry about a new one. New lines though, the ones on it look very rusty and liable to snap

Yea, I will probably crank up the T bars a bit tomorrow and see if it still needs a trim (Im ok with a bit of trimming, I am looking for a bush bumper of sorts)

Yea Im fairly sure its the rack, its leaking anyways. I have 3 weeks to get this thing on the road, and I am making minimum wage so for the meantime I think I will pull a low mileage one from a wreckers, $40 plus a $5 core. Then worry about a new one. New lines though, the ones on it look very rusty and liable to snap

If you get a used rack at least get new tie rod ends. OE replacements can be had from Amazon for cheap.

If I go used it will definetly get new TREs. Today, I made some shackles for the back, 1/4 checkerplate steel. Didnt take too long to make and the shackle bolts were not stubborn at all. I gained about 2" in the back, but it was sagging already so its still level. I also took off the running boards. The drivers side rocker was rotten enough All I had to do was jump in it to get it out. Passenger side is alot more solid and put up more of a fight

7D1849D7-87E2-4546-B010-F2D7A7F4C1D5_zpsmvccuajd.jpg

BFF09141-7DB1-413E-94AC-C87D655D83EF_zps3mq6e8ew.jpg

If you want some more lift in the rear get a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting shocks, seems to add and inch and change to the rear. Also if the sag was that bad perhaps see about having your leaf packs re-bent.

I already ordered some Rancho RS9000s hahaha. I was there today to pulk the driveshaft and Im happy with the 32s and the height its at.

I seem to be having an issue with the 4wd. I have the rear drivehaft out. I had to push it back in to its spot but Its heavy and Im weak :p i figured Id put it in 4 hi and back it in to its spot. The light comes on but it doesnt move. Same with 4 low. Is it most likely the shift motor? I had a problem with that in my Ranger.

Well, the driveshaft is back in with a couple new U joints. I tried bleeding the power steering, it was low I added fluid, but even after bleeding it still kinda, like skips or shudders while turning, I will put a new belt on it and see if that does anything. I The shift motor does work, It goes in to 4 low and you can hear it shift, so Im questioning that power is getting to the magnetic clutch. I got the hatch open to further check the rust on the quarter, and founds a factory trailer wiring kit in with the jack, still in the bag too!

1477CFEF-F1ED-43CE-AD02-A8699B43FB77_zps9ayolhta.jpg

I'm really digging those Level 2 Ranger wheels. I may have to look for a set for my Explorer.

Well Ive been driving it, The park brake cable was sticking so I disconnected it for now. While I was under the truck I noticed the arm bolted to the diff for the load levelling sensors was loose, one of the bolts was broken and the other loose, and the arms arent clipped in. Doesnt matter much to me cause Im changing them but maybe thats why the light came on
Since I filled and bled the power steering it doesnt do the death wobble on the freeway any more, but still around curves if you hit a bump. Alot more manageable

And I looked up the axle code, D2. 4.10 and Limited slip? Hell to the yes :p

You may check the site for an easy repair for that shift motor. The bushing wears, or cracks inside, easy fix

Well I checked it out and the shift motor turns, but the front axle isnt engaging. Ill check for power to the transfer case clutch.
It passe its aircare and I will insure it tomorrow hopefully. The steering issue has completely gone away. It still leaks, but I will put a seal kit in it. I guess it just needed to be driven for the last of the air to bleed out. I have ranchos for it, the parts store said it would be 3 weeks for them to arrive then they got to work by the end of that day. I wasnt expecting to have to pay before 3 weeks so I owe work a few hundred bucks after taxes haha. Then I have to buy A hitch so I can build a carrier for my dirtbike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

INsured it yesterday, and I put a stereo in it. A kenwood something or other. I normally hardwire my stereos in, but this time Id figured I try a wiring kit. Only to find out that Eddie Bauer wiring is different from the Regular explorer kit and they dont make one for the Eddie Bauer :p So I hardwired it anyways :p Wired in my amp, a cheap 400 watt thing. Its powering a 10" sub and I figured Id power the stock sub as well. It pounds, but now it needs door speakers :p

Back