Low oil pressure warning in dash then gone when start engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low oil pressure warning in dash then gone when start engine

haskee

Reaction score
City, State
woodbridge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer xlt
Hello

Just bought 2005 explorer xlt. Started living this truck. However first time I bought the truck. I always get Low oil pressure warning in dash. When engine starts its no more. Just changed the engine oil , oil filter and daily checks oil level the oil level is perfect.
Searched google a lot everywhere it explained to be oil sender switch replacement. However unable to find the proper video how to change it?
Can't afford heavy labor cost so I want to fix it myself.

Any help , guidance please?

so chances are it is nothing. i you turn your key to the on position without the engine running most cars that light will come on. then as soon as you start it the light goes out. i would only look into changing the sensor if the light starts coming on while the engine is running

If your engine isn't running then you won't have any oil pressure since the oil pump isn't going. Once you start your engine the pump turns on and circulates oil and your oil pressure gauge should read with the needle in the middle, which I believe is around 30is psi.

if it does turn out to be the oil pressure sensor switch, it's a very easy replacement and the part is only $10 at advanced auto. turn the drivers side wheel all the way to the right and peel back the fender liner so you can see straight through towards the engine. the sensor is in your direct line of sight and is easily notable because of it's shape. you can get to it with a long extension and spark plug socket. note that it doesn't thread in all the way. add some teflon tape as well.

oil_zps5e360ac3.jpg

Back